Which Tang would be best??

scastillo813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Scopas Tang in my 120g (along with 06 anthias, 02 clowns, and a watchman goby). It's been in the tank about 5 months and is very happy/healthy. I want to remove it and replace it with another tang, possibly a powder brown or blue, sailfin, or kole tang.

The Scopas doesn't seem to have any typical problems, is there any other Tangs out there like this that are not as likely to have the common issues? I hear some have them more than others.

gacolt

JEEP STUFF
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
purple tangs are great easy to take care of and seems to be good with others.powder tangs are hard to keep healthy for alot people.kole tangs are awesome salfins aswell.i would pass on the powder tangs imo

OP
OP
scastillo813

scastillo813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm leaning more towards the sailfin or kole right now. A single fish over $100 isn't in my budget right now.

bond300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love tangs so I have 1Yellow, 1Foxface, 1Hippo and 1Scopas in my 90G they all are getting along!

OP
OP
scastillo813

scastillo813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attempted two different times to put a Blonde Naso and a Powder Blue Tang in with the Scopas, but I'm pretty sure he killed both of them. They both would eat and seemed okay. Then randomly would be dead. That's why I want to get rid of it before I add any others.

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I didn't have 2 tangs in my 120 I would get a yellow tang. There not expensive and add great color

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sailfin is going to outgrow a 120, so unless you have certain plans to upgrade to a much bigger tank I would skip that. Also, I think a 120 is too small longterm for most Acanthurus tangs. I say stick with a smaller Zebrasoma or something from the genus Ctenochaetus.

OP
OP
scastillo813

scastillo813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards a Kole and possibly a D. Sailfin. Yea, actually I do want to eventually upgrade to a 180-200g over the next couple years.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you quarantined all fish, then pick your fish according to what you like not what stays healthy. Lol

If no qt, I would just avoid tangs in general.

I have in my 200 a p.blue, Caribbean blue, kole, d sail fin, yellow, & Scopus. Believe it or not, I think the powder blue is the best grazer out of them all. Followed by the kole & sailfin. I'm thinking it's like to remove the scopus but I think he'd be the hardest to catch.

OP
OP
scastillo813

scastillo813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your input, I've definitely taken all these things into consideration for my future plans.

So back to the original question, is a certain type of tang more prone to disease than others and vise versa?

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is not from personal experience but I think it was stated that a powder blue tends to be susceptible to ich. I think you've already crossed that one off though - yellow, kole, and sailfin are all pretty hardy......I personally have not had luck keeping a kole tang - I've tried 3 times and each time they perished for no identifiable reason (at least not ich) - so I think they may tend to be a little more sensitive than a yellow, purple, or sailfin. If you get them small, I think it would take some time for them to outgrow a 120. You wouldn't have to worry about the tank size with a kole.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recommend a Kole Tang or another from the bristletooth family. They stay smaller, are great cleaners, are not nearly as aggressive as most other Tangs, and can be just as hardy once established.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recommend a Kole Tang or another from the bristletooth family. They stay smaller, are great cleaners, are not nearly as aggressive as most other Tangs, and can be just as hardy once established.

+1 I was about to say the same thing
Choosing a different genera then your current tang will help reduce introduction fighting and because they occupy a different niche they will do better long term also

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you currently have a Scopas Tang, it may have a problem with a Yellow Tang, similar shape. I would stick with a Bristletooth ie. Kole, Tomini, White Tail (rare and expensive), etc.

OP
OP
scastillo813

scastillo813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone ! Im leaning more towards the D. Sailfin. Today I removed the Scopas and took it to my LFS for store credit. Now I'll just have to wait until I can find what I want locally.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1

I have never had a bristletooth not thrive. Over the years 2 koles, tomini and now a white tail. All great and healthy.

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow eye kole I have had one for about a month now and he has had no problems. And they eat like a crazy fish lol

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back