Tank ich

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think I have ich in my tank was wondering if I used copper if it would harm my fish that I currently have mostly I have damsels 1 yellow tang 1 fire angel another Blue Angel and two cleaner shrimp also two clowns.

OP
OP
M

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or if there is another way to do it would appreciate the info

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't want to treat with copper in your main tank - you'll need a Hospital tank

you could try the keep them well fed and not stressed and hope that they can fight it off - your fish should be in pretty good shape with not a lot of ich and hopefully eating well to consider that option

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no coral or mens so why can't I treat main tank

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because copper will kill your shrimp and be absorbed by your rock making you never able to grow coral. It's also extremely difficult to maintain therapeutic doses of copper with the rock continuing to absorb it. I guess if you can get your shrimp out and you NEVER want to have anything but fish again you could try it but I wouldn't recommend it. A hospital tank is where I would treat (actually two because I would use tank transfer)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have two separate hospital tanks set up, transferring the fish back and forth between the two tanks completely cleaning each tank when the fish is removed. The amount of time the fish are left in each tank coincides with the life cycle of the Ich parasite. Ideally when the parasite is in the stage where it drops off the fish, you remove the fish and dump the water....putting the fish back into the other clean tank. This is done multiple times back and forth over time until the parasite has been completely removed.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this back and forth and medicine and what not is very stressful to the fish. Also will not be easy to catch the fish over and over.
Like mentioned before, keep feeding them to keep them eating well.
Also do water changes. Siphon water from the bottom of the tank sifting through your rock or sand, keep them well fed, do more water changes.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back