first fish

jish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my mom and i started a 30 gallon tank on saturday with live rock, live and, and live water from the lfs. we are planning to have a coral beauty, a pair of clowns, a fire fish, a valentini puffer, and a green mandarin. we will be raising copopods for the mandarin, and we are not planning to get a fish till the chemistry has settled. my question is could we start with the fire fish, because my mom wants that one first rather than the clowns. the other reason i ask this is because a pair of clowns would probably be way too much of a bioload jump to start with, and we don't want to get a fish like a damsel to start and then get rid of it the next month. please help, any advice is appreciated. thanks in advance.:smile:

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fire fish should be fine for the first one. In a 30 gal I'd keep it to only 3 or 4 fish. You should have at least 30 lbs of rock which is going to take up some swimming room. Too many fish could start a turf war...especially if the clowns eventually pair up and try spawning.

OP
OP
jish

jish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have about 38 lbs of liverock, ok we were not on set on getting a pair 1 would be just fine. thanks for the advise.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't put all of that in a 30. Maybe the clown pair and the firefish.

newatsalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a novice to Saltwater, but it seems to me like that would be a lot of fish for a 30 gallon tank. I am interested to see what the experts on this forum say, but 2 to 3 fish would probably be the recommended for your tank size. Remember I am a newbie so don't listen to me.

ptreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No on the puffer and your pushing it for the angelfish...

blue green chromis work and cheap.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back