Lyretail antheas

bobster911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening once again guys, after getting some bad advice at one of my lfs I thought I would ask this question on here.

A gorgeous male lyretail anthea came into my possession but was told that 4 resplendent females would live with him quite happily. Now all 4 of them have been bullied and killed by the big male.

Which antheas bar female lyretail could I keep with him or would the female lyretail be the best choice?

Thanks for reading guys :) x

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as a safest bet, I would say the female lyretail would be the way to go.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male lyretails can be aggressive for sure. I always had a tough time adding new female anthias with an existing male. Once I QT females they start to change and then if you add them with the existing male they fight.

OP
OP
bobster911

bobster911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the resplendent antheas at the same time but yeah I can see it being an issue. It sucks as well because he's a stunning fish , and PTreef my tank is about 110g

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Male Lyretails are very aggressive to females and it requires allot of females to disperse that aggression most of the time... Personally they need allot of females and a very large tank to handle them.. A male is fine by himself though..

What happening is the females want to become male and the male is aggressive to them to keep them female... To make it worse the females will fight to become the dominant female too..

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobster911

bobster911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh ok , I knew they hanged sex but dident know they fought to be the male. Basicly it's just some jerry springer s*** then lol

Thanks for the info dude :)

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...you'd be best off with him as a single or rehomed. From what I've seen, lyretails have a tendency to kill off their females in an aquarium setting. Occasionally a new female will be more aggressive than the established male, and kill him.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back