Ich problems

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help I got ich in my tank I got all my fish out and in a QT tank with cupramine but I have crabs and 2cleaner shrimp what should I do with them and how long should I leave main tank fish free I have no nems

Daddio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many fish and what size is your QT? It is hard to keep the fish out long enough in a QT for ich to totally go away. I find it really hard to keep the water parameters in a QT stable and waste low enough in a QT since you don't have the biological filters (live rock) which can stress the fish even more (not to mention that they are basically living in a tolerable poison with the copper).

I think you have to let the display tank go fallow for about 6 weeks - that is what I think the lifecyle of the ich parasite is. I found it better to "rent" at tank at my LFS that is running copper and let the experts control the copper levels - at least they have the water volume to control the amount of copper better.

No need to worry about your crabs and shrimp as the parasite does not effect them and they are fine where they are.

This is totally frustrating to deal with! Make sure you check all your water parameters well as stress to the fish can bring on their susceptibility to the parasite. Did you recently add a new fish that is a little more aggressive? I don't believe I have ever had a totally ich-free tank. I have had outbreaks when I have been lapse on my water conditions or even when adding a new fish that disrupts and stresses the other inhabitants. Some of my best results came by leaving the fish in the tank, keeping the water pristine, feeding often and aggressively vacuuming the sand while doing lots of small water changes.

Good luck... this is never fun. I have lost some long-lived fish to this **** parasite. There are people here that have WAY more knowledge than I - but I have dealt with this several times and just wanted to share my experiences.

OP
OP
M

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clown fish 2 angel fish 1 yellow tang and 1small damsel in a 55 gallon QT they have 2 decent size live rock in with them and a couple pic pipes. They have been in there for two weeks now and I have only had to do partial water change once do to ammonia starting to go up.

OP
OP
M

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my fire angle has got this since being in QT what is this or any idea.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414779975573.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414779975573.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 164
OP
OP
M

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont think ich looks like a pretty big white spot

Daddio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good size QT! Not sure what the white spot is - the picture is kind of grainy.

I have also thought about adding a UV sterilizer but haven't had the dough to dish out yet. They are supposed to help control ich but I don't believe that it will totally irradiate them.

Which fish are affected the most? The tang?

OP
OP
M

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No strangley the tang had the least the worst was clowns and fire angle

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV light on kills free floating parasites and some small bacteria.
QT is best option, easiest option would be to Hypo the fish. It get pretty sticky if you have inverts in the DT and you want to treat the DT, most likely you will kill them all using any chems. You could try Herbtana, or Ich Attack, those are Reef safe chems. Not always 100% workable, but worth a shot if you have no QT.

Back