Regal Angelfish in Reef Tanks

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who keeps Regal Angelfish in Reef tanks?Do they nip at corals?

ecam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had regal for the last 1 yr or so...... model citzen. i would suggest getting an automatic feeder and drop food every few hrs... they would be to full to worry about corals

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen regals in reef tanks a few times. In all cases the regal did not touch sps. In one case it ate open brains such as lobos, symphyllias, wellsos, and blastos, as well as a dendrophyllia. In another case the regal wiped out all the chalices overight. I would definitely say some corals are certainly on their diet.

Dakota Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a Regal Angel in my reef tank for a couple years now and its gone very well. He samples SPS slime occassionally (as does my Potters and Majestic angels that have been in the tank for years) but it never seems to cause any harm to the coral. I have had some zoos fragged involuntarily but I believe that was the Majestic.

Here's a video so you can see the types of corals I keep with my angels and butterflyfish.

[video=vimeo;85590180]http://vimeo.com/85590180[/video]

Mike Paletta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for 3 years, he does eat the chalices and occasionally picks at other lps. But he has not bothered the sps. Spectacular fish that if you choose which corals to house him with and have him be the dominant fish is a show stopper.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience large angels do not mix with fleshy sessile invertebrates.
In general SPS are low on the angel menu but juicy inverts will be quickly devoured.

Keeping a 100% "reefsafe" display does not have enough interest for me.
I like the bright color and personality of large angels too much to not have at least one.

Just depends on what you like more.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the priveledge of seeing and feeding this beautiful tank a few weeks ago which has many beautiful angels in it. Andrew said the Angels had nipped at some chalices but 3-4 feelings a day keeps them somewhat pacified. It was an amazing sight to witness for sure. (Please excuse the LRS plug but this collection of fish must be seen to be believed no matter what your food of choice is.)

Enjoy.

[video=youtube_share;zqV0SeleWTA]http://youtu.be/zqV0SeleWTA[/video]

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Regal in my SPS tank with no problem. Amazing fish!

OP
OP
gfox

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had regal for the last 1 yr or so...... model citzen. i would suggest getting an automatic feeder and drop food every few hrs... they would be to full to worry about corals
That's a good idea with the auto-feeder.Thanks

OP
OP
gfox

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like i should pass on this fish at this time.i have all LPS corals in my tank.Hammers,torches,elegance,scolys,acans.In another tank i had a few years ago i had an Atlantic pygmy angel in the tank for 3 years touched no corals.Then i put some high end acans in there the fish started to nip at them all of the time.So i had to tear apart the tank to catch the fish a real PIA.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine for a couple of years now and it was fine for about the first six months and then it started picking....doesn't touch SPS, but hit or miss with Zoas, LPS and softies...so Im able to keep some of those. Open brains, acans, xenia and clams are on the menu.

mc-cro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a regal in my tank a few weeks ago, he is still not eating reliably. so far, the only thing he will eat consistently is LPS that are already sick/injured. In QT, the only thing it would touch was a colony of acans that had recently exposed skeleton.

In the display tank, it has not touched any healthy acans, brains, lobos, duncans or anything, except a recently stung favai. It has been consistently munching on it, and as much as I hate it, I have left it alone because at least its eating.

So far, no interest at all in SPS, however my Magnificant Fox face likes to nibble on SPS polyps.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Regal Angelfish has been with us for about 6 years now. She was a juvenile when we acquired her and a model citizen for the first 3 years. She will nip/eat some fleshy LPS and will devour z's and p's, so we moved those corals to a separate tank.

DSC_1303_0814 by terryl93, on Flickr

DSC_6401 by terryl93, on Flickr

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have always wanted a regal and now I do not think i should get one.
I have a majestic angel and a blue face angel.
My majestic does not bother any corals or clams
My blue face does nip here and there, but as someone mentioned if they are well fed they do not even bother. My issue with my blue face is he is always hiding, so i have an auto feeder and everyone gets fed but him. Only when he comes out and finds the food directly in front of him does he eat. Otherwise everyone else eats all and when he decided to come out he starts nipping. He nips at my favia and used to nip at my lobo till i moved it.
I did move my favia and he couldnt reach it but then my Gobie would fill it with sand. So i moved the favia back up higher and the Blue face can see it again....
As far as why i dont have a regal now, I have 3 Tangs, purple is large, powder blue is medium and my hippo is a baby. I also have an adult Majestic medium in size and my adult blue face medium in size. Right now there is plenty of space but i am afraid that when the Hippo becomes and Adult there will be 5 large fish and I dont think i should get another potentially large fish.
But i have always wanted one.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW my blue face never ever touches my acan.
I believe it depends on where things are placed. If it is a frequently visited spot and are hungry they will try and nip.
Mine only nips the favia, and used to nip the lobo till i protected the base with a clam shell.

Quinn123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW my blue face never ever touches my acan.
I believe it depends on where things are placed. If it is a frequently visited spot and are hungry they will try and nip.
Mine only nips the favia, and used to nip the lobo till i protected the base with a clam shell.

had a blue face,came home one day and he ate every single mushroom i had, and i had some expensive room, had to let him go

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back