Future/Current Stocking, any possible issues?

willertac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 55g that's pretty much ready to go. I plan to have a few small fish in it. But there's a possibility that can wait. I wanted a dog-faced Puffer when I saw one in the pet store by my house a few months ago. That idea kinda faltered over time, but now I want it again. Yes, the fish is still there. I was planning on at some point getting a 125g tank also. Right now, it's still a bit expensive, but it will happen.

For that tank:
1 Dog-Faced Puffer
1 Bursa (or Humu Humu) Triggerfish
1 Whitecheek Tang
1 Xanthurus Cream Angel
1 Vagabond Butterfly

The last three I'm still not 100% sure about, but for now, pretend they would be added.

If there are any smaller fish that can successfully be kept there without being eaten, please list them. I was thinking of the bigger damsels because they would be able to fend for themselves, but I'd like some more input. Can this be done, and can I possibly buy the Puffer for my 55 until I get the 125?

Thanks!

MounteeFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the 125 now. Even if it means saving a little more. Use the 55 for a sump. Never buy a Damsel! Mean SOB's and you'll have to tear your tank down to catch it.

OP
OP
W

willertac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true, from what I've seen they are pretty mean... And fast.
I don't know how to set up sumps; all I've read about them and I'm still confused...
I was offered an Fx5 from my step mom who decided that she doesn't want it anymore, and when I got that I would have used it for the 125.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, none of those fish will do well in a 55g. The trigger and/ or puffer get too big and are agressive. The Tang gets big and a 4' tank is not nearly enough swimming space. It will likely be stressed and not live long. The cream angel might do okay with the right tankmates. Read up on them if you decide to get one. If you can get a 120g, you are in better shape with some of these.

Eric N

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those

Get a 150 or higher for that list. I'm personally waiting to get a 250 gallon before getting fish like that. They will fight and they will destroy their own water quality so fast you won't be able to keep up. If you're worried about cost, consider that the 55 gall will cost startup price + all those fish, then when they all die you'll have to buy another tank that's huge and re buy all those fish. Trust me, many of us giving this advice learned through experience and have since seen plenty of people try the same thing and then come back the forum or pet store with dead fish and horrible water chemistry and a hair algae problem. You might then buy a bunch of products to Lowe nitrates and phosphates, and then get some urchins that will soon die because the pH and all is too low because you haven't even tested that while working on the other problems. Then once the algae is all gone the nutrients will again spike and cause a new type of bloom. Then with all those products you'll get ok chemistry and you get the fish, but now they're fighting as they approach a foot in size and they're starting to die... Just get the right setup. :) I care abut you enjoying the hobby as much as the health of the fish.

Wags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the bigger tank. Invest now and set yourself up for success later. Can find cheap good quality aquariums on c-list. To make a sump just buy some glass/acrylic and some silicon and look up DIY sumps. I would have 3 compartments, first for filter sock and skimmer, second for a refugium (or could put skimmer there if no refugium), third for return. Easy and cheap to make, helps a ton with water quality

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger tank first.

Over a decade ago I was going to get a "big" tank --- just now setting up a 210, life WILL get in the way.

DrBoxedWine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly don't blame you for wanting all those fish, that would be an amazing stocklist! But, as people have said, even a 120 isn't going to cut it long term for a few of those. Check out LiveAquaria and see what they say about each. I think a good rule of thumb is that they list the ABSOLUTE minimum. When they say a certain fish will work in a 120, there's a good chance it will work but isn't "ideal." They list a clown trigger as needing a 120g tank.

Sumps are pretty amazing things. If you wanted to stock that heavily, it would really, really help to have a refugium. Keeping nitrates in check is going to be really tough. That's a higher bioload than i have in my 75g tank, and i run a big, heavily lighted refugium 24/7, GFO, and have a way oversized skimmer.

I was going to get a yellow tang as i figured i'd certainly upgrade to at least a 125 in the next year or 2. After setting this 75g up, i'm realizing how much it really costs and there's no way i'll be upgrading in the next year or 2. Most of your equipment on a 55 isn't going to work on a 120. Another thing to consider, is that length is more important than just total gallons. A 120 is still 4', a 6' 125 is going to be much better for stocking larger fish. If you you think the hobby is expensive now, wait until all your $50-$100 fish start killing each other (inevitable in a tank like that).

As someone else said... It's important that you enjoy the hobby, and dealing with the headaches that you're going to have with a tank like is likely to drive you away.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back