Orange faced butterfly

saltykisses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just been reading up on chaetodon larvitus .. These fish are gorgeous ...
Had anyone ever kept one??
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416696152.808676.jpg

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if Peter has kept one of those but you can feel free to post a comment on this video or send him a PM via youtube. He is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to rare and delicate species. His collection is one of the most diverse I have seen under one roof.

[video=youtube_share;_xBgYepf3hw]http://youtu.be/_xBgYepf3hw[/video]

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I will admit I tried one once. They are obligate coralivores, meaning they only eat coral polyps. And in this case, very specific acro polys. This is true of their closely related cousins, C. baronessa, and C. triangulum. I got mine off LiveAquarias Diver's Den. I tried every food imaginable (though truth be told I don't think Larry's food was around yet, so I didn't try that). The only thing it would eat was very tiny pieces of minced clam, and only a little at a time. If I worked from home, and could feed hourly, I think maybe I could have had success.

I know a couple success stories with this fish, or similar species. They always involve daily, multiple feeding, in an environment where the fish doesn't have to compete for food. While this sounds doable, short term, when you really think about it, the long term commitment (years) is enormous!

Here's one example of success: http://glassbox-design.com/2010/obligate-corallivore-captivity/

Last edited:
OP
OP
saltykisses

saltykisses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah shinri takama ... I'd love to have a link to that guy just to ask for advice....

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sd guy have u tried adding any butterflies to a reef?

I had a zoster for a while. Ate gorgonians... otherwise, no issues. Tried a saddleback. Disaster! :) Yellow longnoses didn't work well either... they learned to stick their noses into large LPS mouths to eat the contents. Fine with SPS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
saltykisses

saltykisses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a copperband ... But he likes to vacum the snails on my cuc out of their shells and munch them... Apart from that he's a model citizen.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back