Copper band butterfly's how to feed?

rworegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started on shaved scallops. The frozen ones from the grocery store. Shaved thin and chopped. Mine eats those and mysis with gusto. Hopefully you have it in a qt tank so you can get it to eat without competition.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good suggestions above, but sometimes they just refuse to eat & slowly starve to death. If you already have him in your DT, he might be picking at pods or sometimes they will eat aiptasia on a rock.

Archie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine ate gammarus and mysis from before.. i mix artemia, lobster eggs, copepods, rotifers, and red plankton with these. He used to spit them out whenever he gets the artemia. now he eats almost all of them (doesnt pick on sigle lobster egg or copepod. it has to be clumped up before he tries to eat and swallom them) you should try gammarus.. if he seems to eat them, just continue feeding that to your fish and just mix it with artemia or mysis so he will get to taste them and eventually like them. mine took 9 months though

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis was what mine (a Chelmon marginalis, which is a slightly different copperband) started eating first. I feed it from the tip of a pipette as it is not very quick to get foods floating free in the water.

It now loves Rod's food fed this way. :)

fishmommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have trained mine to eat from the tip of a turkey baster. Live blackworms. Now that he associates the baster with food, I plan to switch foods on him. Frozen blackworms are part of my long term plan since they are so nutritious.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis was what mine (a Chelmon marginalis, which is a slightly different copperband) started eating first. I feed it from the tip of a pipette as it is not very quick to get foods floating free in the water.

It now loves Rod's food fed this way. :)

I did the same thing other fish would just sit behind him waiting for any missed or spit out food. Also added a drop of garlic to help entice him.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for about 18 months now. He did not eat any prepared foods so I would say the first 3 months. My 180 was loaded with pods and aptAsia so he ate those for the most part. Then one day he decided he wanted to try some my sis and since then that is pretty much all of the prepared food that he will eat.I know the LRS foods are very good for stimulating appetite and a feeding response and also pe mysis.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back