Wrasse advice

nelsonre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello just looking for advise regarding taking care of a Red Head Solon fairy wrasse male. It's a nice fish for a reef tank? Any special care? I really like that fish. Any comment will be very appreciated, thanks

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very easy but if you like other fairy wrasses I would add the red head last. They can be agressive toward other fairy wrasse. I had one that was always dominated by an exquisite. Then I added a third fairy and all heck broke loose. The red head saw an opporunity to challenge the exquisite for top dog and tried to kill him relentlessly. To the point he was going to kill the him. I removed the red head, and a week later the newer wrasse jumped so I was then left back at square one with the exquisite only.

OP
OP
nelsonre

nelsonre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the colors are like the one on live aquaria site picture?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spot on. The female is much prettier in person. But good luck finding one. I believe that the jumper I referred to was a female. It was sent to me as a complete goof by reefs2go where they were supposed to send a radiant wrasse!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello just looking for advise regarding taking care of a Red Head Solon fairy wrasse male. It's a nice fish for a reef tank? Any special care? I really like that fish. Any comment will be very appreciated, thanks

As with any wrasse a good fitting cover as they will find any opening that they can.

Very easy but if you like other fairy wrasses I would add the red head last. They can be agressive toward other fairy wrasse. I had one that was always dominated by an exquisite. Then I added a third fairy and all heck broke loose. The red head saw an opporunity to challenge the exquisite for top dog and tried to kill him relentlessly. To the point he was going to kill the him. I removed the red head, and a week later the newer wrasse jumped so I was then left back at square one with the exquisite only.

This has not been my experience with C. solorensis. I have found them to be right down the middle of the scale of fairy wrasse aggression, they never caused any issue the multiple times I have kept them.

Although I have found that any individual specimen of almost any species of wrasse can behave like Triggreef's has. And even though there was a heirarchy in place between the exquisite and solorensis adding the third, which was more closely related to the solorensis than the exquisite, upset the social dynamics.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spot on. The female is much prettier in person. But good luck finding one. I believe that the jumper I referred to was a female. It was sent to me as a complete goof by reefs2go where they were supposed to send a radiant wrasse!
One thing to point out here; the "female" on the LA picture is NOT a female solorensis, but rather a male C. cf. cyanopleura (commonly called the 'Ruby Head Fairy').

A true female solorensis is a bit dull, comparatively.
Cirrhilabrus_solorensis.jpg

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with any wrasse a good fitting cover as they will find any opening that they can.

Yup. I had a canopy, with netting on the back. Still made it out somehow through the netting.

One thing to point out here; the "female" on the LA picture is NOT a female solorensis, but rather a male C. cf. cyanopleura (commonly called the 'Ruby Head Fairy').

A true female solorensis is a bit dull, comparatively.
Cirrhilabrus_solorensis.jpg

I think we had this discussion before actually. My Google of that name revealed this wrasse, which is the one I had that I thought was a female. I forgot about it being something different.

rubyhead04.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we had this discussion before actually. My Google of that name revealed this wrasse, which is the one I had that I thought was a female. I forgot about it being something different.
We probably have, lol. I've had the same conversation many times and I can't recall who I've had them all with!
And that's a perfect example of a nice cf. cyanopleura.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased and introduced two what were supposed to be female C. solorensis to accompany the male then were ID'd as male C. cyanopleura by Hunter and others. Now that they have been in my system for some time I would say that they are male C. aurantidorsalis (Goldback Fairy Wrasse) as the dominant of the two is definitely looking like the one pictured in Scott W. Michaels "Reef Aquarium Fishes" book. Hunter / evolved could you please confirm. Pics below from Marchis when I first introduced the initial fish, will have to try and get an updated pic with new maturing coloration.

Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura Wrasse female in 125g Mixed Reef 3-6-14.jpg
C. cyanopleura Wrasse female 3-6-14 - Copy.jpg

Cheers, Todd

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased and introduced two what were supposed to be female C. solorensis to accompany the male then were ID'd as male C. cyanopleura by Hunter and others.
C. cf. cyanopleura, rather. ;)

Right now, I still see C. cf. cyanopleura ("Ruby Head" variant). There's a chance of aurantidorsalis, but I'm not convinced yet. Get that new picture!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased and introduced two what were supposed to be female C. solorensis to accompany the male then were ID'd as male C. cyanopleura by Hunter and others. Now that they have been in my system for some time I would say that they are male C. aurantidorsalis (Goldback Fairy Wrasse) as the dominant of the two is definitely looking like the one pictured in Scott W. Michaels "Reef Aquarium Fishes" book. Hunter / evolved could you please confirm. Pics below from Marchis when I first introduced the initial fish, will have to try and get an updated pic with new maturing coloration.

Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura Wrasse female in 125g Mixed Reef 3-6-14.jpg C. cyanopleura Wrasse female 3-6-14 - Copy.jpg

Cheers, Todd

Agreed with evolved that it is C. cf. cyanopleura. There is certainly a lot of orange, but cf. cyanopleura has a blue margin that runs behind the gill cover, whereas aurantidorsalis lacks that and the orange extends the entire length of the back.http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p_90109-orange-back-wrasse.jpg

bullysam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine lasted me like 6 mos. and was a role model citizen while he lived...he did get picked on somewhat by my Melanaraus

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every fairy wrasee i have ever bought has been killed by some fish in the tank,, WHY

Are these fish that delacate or they that shy and don't get enough food??? I don't know what to look for, as to If I can have them in my reef.

*** :cry: Please advise?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The species mentioned in this thread are generally pretty hardy, and not picky about food. Most fairy wrasses I have kept will quickly acclimate to pellets and other foods. They are quite disease resistant. The biggest issue is jumping, a completely covered tank is a must.

TarHeelReefer22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can have these in your tank, and you can also have a pair. They are reef safe and shouldn't go after any inverts. No special treatments I have seen them eat LRS, flake, pellet, and frozens! Good Luck

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back