Leopard wrasses and copper? Experts please advise

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Meleagris leopards in QT with a Pink margin wrasse. The Pink Margin appears to have Ich now. Wrasses were from same vendor and were at the store for 5 days prior to purchase. All eating very well and have been eating Nutra Mar Ova, Hikari Mysis and cyclopese. No signs of Ich prior to this am when I found the Pink Margin hiding which was abnormal, as she is always first up and about. At this time she looked pretty bad with excess slime and what appeared to be spots but not breathing heavy or ever rubbing. Now hours later she looks pretty well and I can only see a spot or two near her head. She is eating very well.
Should I treat the tank with Cupramine? Will the Leopards tolerate it? I read a post where someone said they fare better if the level of copper is increased slowly over about a week, Is this true? Weighing my options and would appreciate some wrasse experts input. I am an experienced reefer and have kept leopards in the past but never encountered this problem.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't (use copper). Many wrasses don't fare well under it, and leopard wrasses can be especially sensitive.

Any chance you noticed the mucus cocoon and/or sand on the fish this morning?

OP
OP
buzzword

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evolved, I was thinking the same thing a while ago as she has cleared up during the day, but it does appear to have two spots by it's head, other than that she looks good, swimming and eating with good coloration and no respiratory difficulty. Leopards look good and have only seen each one of them flash once in 5 days.

OP
OP
buzzword

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If she looks good and is eating should I go the hyposalinity route? Would she live long enough to get my spec gravity down over the next few days? What do you think.

OP
OP
buzzword

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evolved, from reading your many posts and volume of work on the forums I respect your opinion and had hoped you would respond. I believe I will start hypo as I am not set up for TTM. Thanks.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say the wrasse only has "two spots by it's head"? Are you sure it's not just sand or something else (such as Lymphocystis)?

Personally, I would give it a day or to see whether or not the spots disappear. If it's ich, the spots should remain for 3-7 days.

OP
OP
buzzword

buzzword

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you both. I already decided to wait till tomorrow and see then. She looks fine now. I don't want to take any chances with the Leopards.as they are eating great and doing so well. And the wife will come down on me if I loose 3 fish at the same time.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if Chloroquine Phosphate would work better for wrasses.

Actually, wrasses seem to be the one fish that can't handle CP. Not always true - but it has been my experience (lost 2 sixlines on two separate occasions within a week while treating with CP). I've also read many other anecdotal accounts of people losing wrasses in CP under mysterious circumstances.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Actually, wrasses seem to be the one fish that can't handle CP. Not always true - but it has been my experience (lost 2 sixlines on two separate occasions within a week while treating with CP). I've also read many other anecdotal accounts of people losing wrasses in CP under mysterious circumstances.

Thank-you Humblefish.
I've been using CP in my qt-tank lately and was planning on picking up a wrasse or two after the new year starts.
Guess I won't be doing that.:)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank-you Humblefish.
I've been using CP in my qt-tank lately and was planning on picking up a wrasse or two after the new year starts.
Guess I won't be doing that.:)

You're welcome. FWIW; I've found wrasses to be one of the most sensitive fish when it comes to medication. They don't tolerate CP or overdosing Prazipro well at all. I usually do tank transfer with wrasses. On a not completely unrelated note, I've finally encountered my first non-wrasse that has stopped eating while in CP - a Flame Angel. I'm about to take him out of it, and I guess do tank transfer on him as well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well heck, there goes my second part of my qt-tank treatment. I don't overdose, but I usually use it.

You can still use Prazi w/wrasses; just take care not to OD it. I know with other fish I automatically tend to "add a little extra" because I know Prazi is so gentle. I do the exact opposite when dosing it with wrasses.

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across this since I have never had luck with wrasses and copper. All of my DT fish get a pretreatment of cupramine and my tank has been parasite free for years now. I currently have 2 wrasses about to come out of a month long QT but I am very hesitant to transfer them to the DT before absolutely making sure they are clear. They are in QT with a Sailfin Tang that has been clear for 5 weeks.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back