Kiss my wrasse - Mixing Wrasses

CFQTPye

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

So I have three McCosker's Flasher Wrasses, one male, 2 females (which I LOVE). They add so much color to my tank. I would like to add more, but perhaps some variety. I know i've read don't add more than one male of the same type (or add more than one if I want them to flash each other). Have you heard any issues about adding a male of a different species... lets say a Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Corinne

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very likely that all three of your McCoskers end up as males. I see know reason to keep females with wrasses. I'd just get males of different species. They do very well together. I have 7 different species of wrasses in a 155 gallon without any problems.

Here is a good link to help guide you on which species play nice with other wrasses. Almost all the flasher wrasses are cool with others and most of the fairies are too. The author is on here and will probably chime in especially if you tell us which ones your interested in adding.

All About Reef Safe Wrasses | 3reef Aquarium Forums

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Saltyhog - great link on wrasses and just what I was looking for on my new tank. May I ask what mix of wrasses you are keeping?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have two flashers (P. mccoskeri and P. attenatus), two fairy wrasses (C. lineatus and C. rubrimarginatus) and two Halichoeres (H. chrysotaenia and H. chrysus). I previously had a C. lubockii and C. aurantidorsalis that I sold before getting the attenatus.

I've had no aggression issues at all and plan to add an Eight Line Flasher and a Flame Wrasse in the next few months. Might add one more (H. iridis or another fairy).

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow his link. The article was written by the wrasse god. Our club actually flew him in from Arizona to Connecticut for a talk on wrasses

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back