My tang is anti social.

h8z2luze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Tomini Tang for my 75 about a week ago. He never comes out and its irritating me.... Is there anything I can do? I see him come out for like 10 seconds and as soon as he sees me or anything he hides again.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try and not to get irritated by your tang avoiding your presence. In my experience many fish but especially tangs seem to be more timid when adjusting to their new environment. I'm sure as time goes by it will become visible longer once it becomes adjusted to its new surroundings.
I've always offered seaweed on clips near the front of the tank or attached to something close to the front so that it would have something to eat which helps with them gaining security and a feeling of trust.
Just like all animals, once the fish gets to know the caretaker and probably learns from the other fish during feeding time, they usually come around much more frequently without having to be lured from hiding. Just give it some time. Don't rush him or become irritated, you could cause stress and that could create something even worse.

SkipsPrincess77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my fox face he refused to eat for about 2 weeks he was so scared. He would turn black and sink to the bottom of the tank. I went out and bought every type of food available. Now he eats everything in sight including my fingers. Some fish just need a lil extra time to adapt.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue hep tang was the same way for a few weeks, and is still going thru the trust process as mentioned above, but slowly but surely coming out more and more, now she only hides when someone moves too fast for her liking,

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tomini and he will come out if I'm back away from the tank but will hide when I'm close or working on the tank. I've had him for 3 years and he's always been like that. He also hates lawn mower bennies for some reason.

OP
OP
h8z2luze

h8z2luze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird. I thought tangs were really social and not skiddish. My friends tangs won't leave him alone lol.

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Blonde Naso is the biggest fish I have...but the most shy. Funny thing is that once I started using a webcam...I realized he is out literally all day! He's not too bad around me...but is very shy if anyone else is around the tank.

retiredsailor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Kole's Yellow Eye Tang for almost two weeks and until about 3 days ago he would hide if I got anywhere near the tank. But I've noticed in the past few days he is getting braver. If I sit in front of the tank, after a couple minutes he acts as if I'm not there. I still can't get a picture of him but I can sit and admire him as long as I don't move. Maybe try feeding and then just sit and watch. Eventually he's going to get used to you.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back