Tangology 101

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone on here have two types of Acanthurus tangs in the same tank without problems? I have a powder blue tang that has been in my 180 for a few months now and I just added a white cheek tang(still in acclimation box) but the powder blue just paces back and forth next to the acclimation box. It's only been a day and a half so hopefully he calms down.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder Blue tangs are so finicky that it might come down with ick from a new tang introduction. So be ready for some fun.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be difficult to house more than one Acanthurus, unless you have a really big tank. I once had a Powder Blue & Brown in a 240, and it was working out fine. Then I got cocky and added an Achilles, and it was all out war! Even after I moved the Achilles to a different tank, the Powder Blue & Brown were never really "peaceful" with one another ever again.

OP
OP
EZMAC114

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be difficult to house more than one Acanthurus, unless you have a really big tank. I once had a Powder Blue & Brown in a 240, and it was working out fine. Then I got cocky and added an Achilles, and it was all out war! Even after I moved the Achilles to a different tank, the Powder Blue & Brown were never really "peaceful" with one another ever again.

The tank that they will be in is a 6' 180 gallon

fragman4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very risky in that size tank. I would stay clear from adding it. if you added both at the same time you woukd have a better chance although still a risk. Since the powder blue has already established territory, which is prob the whole tank lol, i would bet there will be a war

OP
OP
EZMAC114

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wasn't going to get rid of him without trying so I had him in an acclimation box in the tank for about 6 days and Tuesday night I decided to let him out so I covered the front on the tank with a very large piece of cardboard to keep out ambient light...when I let him out he swam over by my powder blue tang and Desjardini Sailfin tang and they all kind of just hung out for about 45 sec and then the powder blue realized that this was the new guy and there was some slight chasing and a little tail shaking but nothing too aggressive. So when I got home last night I checked and there was still a little following but they would swim and then stop and hangout next to each other like they were best friends so I think it was a success. When I told my girlfriend that I wanted to let him out of the acclimation box she said "isn't that kind of cruel to have them in there together if they are going to fight" I said well they might and they might not but I can't keep him in the acclimation box forever and her reply was "that's like putting two fighting pit bulls in a room together and leaving them". lol

Sorry for the long post but I am very happy with the results because I didn't want to get rid out either of them

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back