Red Spot Glass Cardinalfish

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about adding these to my tank but after looking them up it seems that they do not do well with shipping stress but the articles were from a few years ago. Does anyone know if this has changed or do they still usually die off from stress?

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried keeping them for awhile but their tough. I bought 6 from a LFS, 1 died in the bag from stress, 1 when I got home during acclimation. I replaced them and had a school of 6 for about 2 weeks, got them to eat well&we feeding multiple times a day but every other day 1 would be gone until eventually there were none left. Cool fish but IME very fragile & tough to keep.

IdahoFledgling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried keeping them for awhile but their tough. I bought 6 from a LFS, 1 died in the bag from stress, 1 when I got home during acclimation. I replaced them and had a school of 6 for about 2 weeks, got them to eat well&we feeding multiple times a day but every other day 1 would be gone until eventually there were none left. Cool fish but IME very fragile & tough to keep.

How long ago was this if you don't mind me asking? Were they wild caughttor tank breed? I remember reading someone had managed to start being then but haven't seen the tank breed ones show up anywhere in the market.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago was this if you don't mind me asking? Were they wild caughttor tank breed? I remember reading someone had managed to start being then but haven't seen the tank breed ones show up anywhere in the market.
I heard that LA was able to bred them but the ones that they have in the DD are not listed as tank-bred, so I assume that they are still wild caught.

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was about a year ago, and they were definitely wild caught. I did some research on them online & what I found was most people were unable to keep them for any extended period of time. If I remember correctly the most successful place was an institution that had a school of thousands.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was about a year ago, and they were definitely wild caught. I did some research on them online & what I found was most people were unable to keep them for any extended period of time. If I remember correctly the most successful place was an institution that had a school of thousands.
I think it will be best if I just avoid them for now

TheChef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive kept them in the past:

IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

Did well, schooled well, but not terribly exciting. they were in a tank of peaceful fish, had them for about 1.5 years before I broke the tank down

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 5 from Divers den.. one was DOA... one went missing two weeks later... one another week or so after that... the last two lasted a while ate good looked good etc... then they died off... seems this is a somewhat common theme with these guys

Back