Help me save my purple tang

Madler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang has only been in my tank for about 4 days and little white spots have started to appear all over him. I'm guessing he has ich what's the best way to treat him without taking him out of my tank? He's in a 120gal with a lot of live rock so it would be a pain to take him and the rest of the fish out of the tank. The only other fish in there so far is a yellow watchman goby, a diamond goby, and a small wrasse. somebody please help me treat him without taking him out!

OP
OP
M

Madler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1419231623.937702.jpg

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most people just have to catch everything amd treat ina hospital tank.

OP
OP
M

Madler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No corals or inverts? Just do hyposalinity and you can treat the whole tank...[/

I have inverts but I guess they are going to die. The only one I probably can't take out are my skunk cleaner. Rather lose them over my tang. How would I treat using hyposalinity?

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have a small tank to out the inverts in? I would give them away locally before thinking about hypo...

OP
OP
M

Madler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have somewhere I can put the inverts just don't know how I would catch the skunk cleaner. It would also kill all the bacteria and copepods in my tank right?

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods yes, bacteria is mixed opinions so I can't say. Google "hyposalinity in display tanks" and you will see people have done this with great success including myself as long as you follow directions percislly. Keep an eye out for ammonia and nitrate. You have to leave the tank in hypo for the full recommended time and when you come back up in salinity you have to do it slowly! As for the shrimp, get a water bottle cut the top off flip it around and shove it back into the bottle. Put a piece of food in the bottle and the shrimp will go in and can't get out ( ghetto trap ). :)

Reef4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most people just have to catch everything amd treat ina hospital tank.

I agree with Heath either quarantine them separately the most affective way to remove ich would be copper "coppersafe" is what I used to solve the same sickness and worked wonders on all my infected fish just be sure to get a copper test kit and keep what're levels safe for the fish

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Heath either quarantine them separately the most affective way to remove ich would be copper "coppersafe" is what I used to solve the same sickness and worked wonders on all my infected fish just be sure to get a copper test kit and keep what're levels safe for the fish

Copper is also harder on fish than ost...

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but if used properly with caution he should be fine I've treated many fish with copper safe just try other solutions before using copper
No doubt copper works!!! I agree with you 100 percent. I try to make it least stessful in my fish and hypo is my weapon of choice against ich. Everyone handles these problems differently with like results. I suggested hypo because he wants to treat in his dt. Copper in a dt is a big No No lol

Reef4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt copper works!!! I agree with you 100 percent. I try to make it least stessful in my fish and hypo is my weapon of choice against ich. Everyone handles these problems differently with like results. I suggested hypo because he wants to treat in his dt. Copper in a dt is a big No No lol

Aha your right I wouldn't suggest using copper in a DT and it's what ever is mor convenient for you many people have success with many different options just try researching them and see what fits better for you hopefully your tang pulls threw

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back