Lunar cresant tail wrasse

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had what I believed to be a male and a female my female is starting to change getting the black fins like the male and the female starting to chase the male I have a local friend who keeps high end wrasses and he recommends removing one ASAP or they will kill each other so I posted it for trade on my local Fourm which brought up the discussion that the fish I have is the one from the Philippians not japan and not as rare or expensive just wanted to hear from u wrasse experts out there ur take on that???
Here is a crappy I phone picture of my cresant tail

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421319874.002251.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421319874.002251.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 476
OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to find out can I leave it in my 220 or does it need to be removed ??

Is it the Philippine or Japan is there a difference which one do I have ?

What would it be worth in a trade I'm asking for high end sps pack or a pair of flame wrasses on my local Fourm

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours is the Philippine variant. If the aggression is bad enough one may need to be rehomed. As far as value, the Philippine ones price has gone up this year as they are not being collected with the frequency they were last year. Philippine males are going for around $400 while Japanese males are in the $450-$500 range, a little difference, but not much at this point.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ agree with all that; you have C. cf. lunatus; the Philippine variant.

As for the need to remove; that's on a case by case basis. If all you're seeing is occasional chasing, I wouldn't much worry about it. Now, if chasing leads to fighting, nipping, and damage, then it is certainly time to act.

For reference, I have 3 johnsoni males in my tank; a close cousin to this species at hand here. 2 of the those were once female, and they both transitioned over time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eat breakfast I know pic is not the best but how can u tell the differance between the Japanese and the Philippine variants ??
Is the one in my picture a terminal male /male?

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi evolved thanks for the advice how can u tell the difference between the two?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cf lunatus (Philippine)
lunatus.jpg

lunatus (Japanese)
kazkian-lunatus.jpg

Your photo is certainly a male; terminal or not is a bit subjective, but I'd be inclined to say terminal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently a store by me had them for sale on black fri for $99 I thought I could trade for another rare wrasse or sps but for $99 value I've decided to just see what happens with them it's a 220 so hopefully they will be ok ...

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually a few days after my posts looking to trade my original female turned male and is absolutely amazing to watch flash just awesome so glad I didn't sell one as of now I still have a male and a juvi the male flashes like crazy the juvi just moves away from male no big deal so ill keep both for now

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly mine is a Japanese, but still not a supermale yet. It's in my qt with a red hooded. I'm hoping since it's going in with a whole bunch of others that it will turnsupermale like the pic above. It def has some blue like that startung, but only time will tell. My Lfs got it in and it stated "Japanese crescent tail" wrasse. Came from QM

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a Bruennus as well. It looks great with that blue/black and red

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have the Japanese cresant tail ??
Had one for several years; was way too passive with other Cirrhilabrus (Kevin Kohen has echoed this same experience with me). I was amazed he lasted as long as he did (~3 years).

Not sure if he has a Japanese or Philippine lunatus, but here's and article Hunter wrote a few years ago. https://www.reefs.com/blog/2013/08/19/rare-wrasses-of-the-world-cirrhilabrus-lunatus-vol-1-ed-2/
That was the Japanese; before the Philippine's were even in our market.

Supposedly mine is a Japanese, but still not a supermale yet. It's in my qt with a red hooded. I'm hoping since it's going in with a whole bunch of others that it will turnsupermale like the pic above. It def has some blue like that startung, but only time will tell. My Lfs got it in and it stated "Japanese crescent tail" wrasse. Came from QM
Probably is; Koji sent some more over a few months ago, so the timing would sync up.

I would love a Bruennus as well. It looks great with that blue/black and red
Good luck... Seriously, there's only been less than a handful to ever make it over this way. The Asian countries keep the few which get occasionally collected.

OP
OP
M

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone considering them and have the right conditions for one to turn supermale (get the deep black /neon blue in the fins which they then flash it's the nicest wrasse I've owned

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines never really transitioned from juvi colors, I assume the dominance from the cf. Lanceolatus is why.

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hav r a cf Lancelatous as well in the tank currently starting the transition to a more dominant/ supermale. He's going up against a male Rosefascia as the dominant wrasse in the tank. But the lineatus is starting to gain size on the Rosefascia.
Currently in qt is the labouti, female flame, male red hooded, and Japanese lunatus. I hoping that these 4 throw enough of a wrench in the group to restart the conquest for dominance.snd a few supermales will come out as victors

ghstrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys saw this thread and figured id ask a similar question... id like to know which variant of the crescent tail wrasse i have and what they go for nowadays as i need to rehome him since he and my brunneus arent getting along. I guess their color patterns are way too similar so one has to go.

heres a video of my crescent... Maybe an expert like evolved can chime in?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back