OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even 2 inches. My tank has a lot of swimming room and when he gets too big ill find him a new home

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ask a question, we give the answer. We said we would not. End. It just appears you just want someone to say yes do it.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not unless you are building a larger tank in the near future. Say 200 plus. If so than yes you could. Make sure you do that upgrade or the fish police will get you lol.

Seriously it is a big growing fish and 75 just isn't going to be big enough.

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it up and I am going to need you to step away from your reef, and put your hands behind your back.
th

jsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree to get a smaller tang to begin with since you won't have to worry or lie to yourself about upgrading in the future to meet its needs.

However naso tangs came from 178 quintillion gallons of water so it can be argued that any tank would be inhumane for a Fish that swims 20 miles a day, unless you are Bill Wann.

I keep a 1/2 inch hippo tang in a 29 and after about 10 months it is about 2.5 inches. So I'm in the process of setting up my 120/150, havent decided yet, to help meet its needs.

Naso tangs in my opinion grow much quicker than blue tangs so if you got a 2 inch naso you'd probably only have a year or so before it outgrew the 75. A tomini would be a better option.

The way I rationalize it, to make me feel better, is to make a ratio of water volume to fish size. A naso reaches about 1' 4" in captivity, some larger. So a 220 gallon tank would mean 12.2 gallons of water per inch of tang. A 6 inch naso in a 75 would be 12.5 gallons of water to inch. In the end don't get a Fish that you cannot care for long term. Tangs can live 30+ years in the wild.

Last edited:

DrBoxedWine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the Kole Tang. I was considering a yellow tang for my 75g but in the end i "settled" on a Kole Tang. I absolutely love him now, and i don't feel as though i've settled at all.

Also, the argument about any tank being too small since they come from the ocean is a tough one to defend, i think. These aren't arbitrary tank minimums that people throw out. There is a noticeable difference between a fish that is in a properly sized aquarium and a fish that is too small of a tank. Sadly, it may be a thing you have to learn the hard way. Back in my cichlid days, i added a fish to my 75g that people said really needed an 8' tank but i figured it would be fine. He just rapidly paced back and forth all day, every day. He was clearly stressed, and he was stressing out all the fish by ruining the chill vibe (for a cichlid tank, of course, haha). I don't mean to get on you Jsanchez, as you seemed to be on the same page as me with the rest of your post. This is just an argument that gets tossed out there sometimes. Heck, i made this exact argument in the early days of fish keeping as i tried to overstock my tank too much.

Kole tangs are cool little fish that really are attractive little fish. A naso is maybe my fav fish of all time, but don't underestimate a Kole tang.

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's fed well I don't know why people have a problem with it if it gets too big just give it to someone with bigger tank or trade it for a smaller one at your lfs. I have a very small naso a unicorn a yellow and a tomini in a 80 gal :D I'm not scared of the tang police :D

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's fed well I don't know why people have a problem with it if it gets too big just give it to someone with bigger tank or trade it for a smaller one at your lfs. I have a very small naso a unicorn a yellow and a tomini in a 80 gal :D I'm not scared of the tang police :D

Okay thanks. Thats what i was saying.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What other fish do you have

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back