Fish react to your shirt color?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have that fish that goes crazy or dissapears when you wear a certain color shirt. My Macropharyngodon kuiteri cant stand it when I wear one of my bright orange safety work shirts and will bury herself as soon as I walk in the front door. Its crazy how far across the room I can be and still get a response. I also have bright yellow shirts and they seem to bother her at all, only the orange ones.

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe she sees the Orange and thinks there is a bigger kuiteri wrasse coming towards her. Most of my fish get bothered when I wear red.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, a great big one :) I haven't noticed anything crazy about red but I dont really wear red too often. Ill have to try it and see.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Man we do not give our fish enough credit. I think they can see far better and farther then we think they can.

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I worked at a pet store long ago I noticed that most pets that were around for a while learned the employee shirts, especially the fish that I fed! We had bright orange shirts and not many people wear something similar so the fish knew it well.

Maybe your shirts might remind them of the scuba gear worn or nets used from when they were caught from the ocean?? My wrasse have always seemed a little smarter than the average fish IMO.

Or if your shirts have a reflective property, it could remind them of something like a predator on the reef?? Maybe a barracuda?? Just my initial thoughts :xd:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty cool observation. I feel like my seahorses recognize me when I go up to the tank. They swim right to their feeding spot when I approach.

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that whatever color I wear my fish always POOP when I approach the tank. They always think they are getting fed.

fungia_fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen food from a red solo cup. The fish can pick it out from across the room and go nuts, but only with a red solo cup.

berbotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guys run a mile when I come up to the tank puffing on my e cigarette - the led lights up green as you puff and they absolutely poop themselves - normally they all come up to me cos they are fatties and get fed 6x a day

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen food from a red solo cup. The fish can pick it out from across the room and go nuts, but only with a red solo cup.

I feed out of the same container each day too and my fish recognise it and can tell the difference between the clear frozen food container and the white flake food container. The enthusiasm is somewhat subdued with the white container lol.

fungia_fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed out of the same container each day too and my fish recognise it and can tell the difference between the clear frozen food container and the white flake food container. The enthusiasm is somewhat subdued with the white container lol.

Mine seem to know the difference between the pellet containers and the frozen food feeding solo cup. They like both, but go absolutely nuts when I break out the solo cup!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back