Thinking of adding a pair of bellus angels to my 180 sps tank

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lfs by me with these gorgeous angels. Think it's a good idea with a sps tank with a couple tangs including a Achilles and dejardini and having sps? Bio load don't concern me. My parameters no3 and po4 is usually on the low end

Last edited:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genicanthus angels are reef safe and they hold their own pretty well. I'm not sure how aggressive your AT is but I highly recommend the angels if you can make it work. Genicanthus are awesome fish!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a watanabei and love her. She is the undisputed boss of the tank but bothers no one including a bunch of wrasse, a whitetail bristeltooth tang and two pyarmid butterflies.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not have any concern with Bellus around SPS.
Not saying they would never nip but I would be shocked if one did any real damage.
LPS and zoa's would be a different story.

My primary concern would but the temperament of your tangs.
Some adult Achilles and Desjardini's can be territorial so depends on your particular specimens.

OP
OP
duke62

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Achilles is semi aggressive. He def chases fish but doesn't do any damage. More of he is showing his muscles. I do have a
Few zoas and a few Lps but mostly sps

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be concerned about LPS or zoas, geni's are usually very safe with corals. I'm sure there have been cases of them being less than reef safe but it's not the norm. These fish are planktavores and are much more happy eating out of the water column than off the stuff on your rocks including corals.

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 different pairs of Geni angels in my SPS reef including a Bellus Pair and have had zero issues for many years. Go for it, like others have said they will be fine...

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 different pairs of Geni angels in my SPS reef including a Bellus Pair and have had zero issues for many years. Go for it, like others have said they will be fine...

Can you share more? Which pairs? How many males? Tank size? Anything else interesting, maybe some pictures!

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't hesitate to add those.
Amazing fish.

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share more? Which pairs? How many males? Tank size? Anything else interesting, maybe some pictures!

Bellus, Watanabe and Semifaciatus, all have been together for about 4 years, with some occasional chasing but all harmless, otherwise they get along just fine. Just single pairs of each all housed in a 260 gal SPS dominant. Sorry no pics at the moment, I can never get clear pics of my fish!!

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your able to keep males of all three together without them reverting back to female coloration?

Last edited:

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your able to keep males of all three together without them reverting back to female coloration?

The semifasciatus started to turn and is kind of 50/50, the others are 100% male and have been for years. I know most people have had different experiences without several females, but this is what I have experienced.

mbraud4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I had a male/female pair in my tank last go 'round. The whole reason that I am on a new "go 'round" is because the female went on an LPS binge destroying $500-600 worth of stuff before I decided to break down the rock work to catch them. She went after mostly euphyllia; however she also nipped at my trachy. My trachy and gold torch survived; however all of my hammers and frogspawns did not make it. Now I will say that my case seems to be the exception to the rule as I seldom have heard of anything similar...but I did indeed witness it firsthand. SPS is a diff story in my opinion...as I never saw her go after any stony polyps...but I did want to at least share my story just in case. I loved the pair up until the female decided to turn to the dark side...beautiful fish...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back