Kole tang or flame angel

lefty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am fairly new to the Hobby, 9 months in. I have a 65gal tank, 36" x 18" x 24". I have a few smaller fish, pair of clowns, diamond goby, gramma, and a wrasse. My wife would really like to add a bigger fish to the system, I'm just not sure what kind of bigger fish I would be able to add. I have seen different posts on the kole tang or flame angel. Would I be able to add one of these or not. If not, what would be more suitable? I don't want to add something that can't be happy. I feel like one more fish could go in the tank. Thank you in advance of your opinions.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love my yellow eye kole tang beautiful fish. Reef safe. Is your tank fish only or reef. A 90 would be better for a kole but your tank should be fine just make sure it's the only tang in there because size of tank.

OP
OP
lefty

lefty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just started with some coral. Nothing fancy, a few zoa's and a branching hammer.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are willing to take the risk that the Angel may end up nipping on any corals you have. I would do the angel.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the angel would have plenty of room in my size tank?

I have had one in my 65 for 3+ years now --- along with 2 other dwarf angels, a cardinal and a yellow candy hogfish.

Think a flame would fit in perfectly.

chemwiz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have a 90g, my Kole Tang is the best choice I made. He spends all day, every day looking for algae on rocks. While a Flame would be prettier, my Kole is an absolute workhorse. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
lefty

lefty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not looked at the Tomini tang before. Everything I read about varies so much on size of tank. Live Aquaria says minimum of 70 gallons, that's why I'm asking. Your comments have been very helpful.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not looked at the Tomini tang before. Everything I read about varies so much on size of tank. Live Aquaria says minimum of 70 gallons, that's why I'm asking. Your comments have been very helpful.

If your a bit minimal on rockwork you would be fine with a tomini or the kole. I have a tomini. Great fish.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422642762.101097.jpg

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the tank is too small for any tang, but a flame angel would be a good call. As to potential nipping, all you can do it wait and see.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back