Help I think my wrasse is dieing or dead?

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok when I went to check the tank this morning I saw my wrasse between the rocks. He's not normally up at this time. And wasn't moving so I stuck my hand in to try to grab him out. And poof gone. I have a sand bottom and didn't see the normal sand cloud he makes when he goes under but I think he might have not sure. Lights have been on for a few hours I feed the tank and still no sign of him. It was just weird to see him sitting there not moving and now I can't find him. Is it ok to dig through the sand a little to see if I can find him? I'm not planning on completely turning it over just kinda putting my fingers through it to see if I can find him. Cause if he is dieing I don't want him to die under the sand. I'm about to do a water change and cleaning should I wait till I find him by poking around some before water change so if I disturb the sand bed and cause a spike of anything I can dilute it with the water change? Or just leave it and see if he comes out? Hope some of this made sense.

swhobbie1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you should wait some more to see if he comes out. Poking around in the sand for him is a bad idea IMO.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you should wait some more to see if he comes out. Poking around in the sand for him is a bad idea IMO.

+1. The wrasse is probably very spooked and disrupting things will most likely do more harm than good.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the above posts, you spooked him during the night, he is scared. Digging aroundd for him does more harm than good. Usually if a sand burying species of wrasse is about to die they have the tendency to leave the sand.

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thought so. I just left it alone and did my maintenance still no sign of him. Nvm I just saw him. My son said this morning that maybe he had a late night and went to bed late lol. And thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he only stayed out for a bit then went away. Maybe I'm over exaggerating. But this is not normal behavior for him. He's normally out all day doing his thing.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea something is bothering him. Wrasses are very predictable. My Wrasse goes to bed at the same time every night. On my days off I sometimes leave my light on for a extra hour or 2. As soon as 9 o'clock hits he goes to bed even if my light is on at 100%. All my other fish stay out until lights go out.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The times I have seen their behavior change is when there is aggression toward him, when a bad storm is coming, and when it was going through sexual transition.

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well bad news this morning before I went to work I checked the tank and found him dead. I have no clue what happened.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back