Lawnmower Blenny Question

Vanessa O.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get one of these for my 30 gallon tank eventually. Is it a good tank cleaner? Also, I read where they will nip at clam mantles and some corals? Have any of you had experience with these? I think they are really cute and have a lot of personality but I won't get one if they will nip at corals.

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We love our lawnmower! He won't touch hair algae much, but eats all other algae like he is starving(he is actually very fat). He will also peck the front glass all day leaving hundreds of kiss marks behind. I have noticed he doesn't go directly for the coral, but will peck around the corals base getting the algae sometimes making them close for a bit. Definitely one of the most entertaining fish we have owned

029.jpg

OP
OP
Vanessa O.

Vanessa O.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I think their eyes are so comical. Very cute!

We love our lawnmower! He won't touch hair algae much, but eats all other algae like he is starving(he is actually very fat). He will also peck the front glass all day leaving hundreds of kiss marks behind. I have noticed he doesn't go directly for the coral, but will peck around the corals base getting the algae sometimes making them close for a bit. Definitely one of the most entertaining fish we have owned

. 029.jpg

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine its always got a pop belly so much he has to lay on its side most the time lol its non stop eating but never touch a coral besides laying around them an is my favorite fish like the jack Russell of fishes always fun to watch with a short attention span

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our LB does not bother/nip any of our Corals. He does peck on LR and glass and I feed it too with every other day 1/4 of Algae pellets.

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the similar starry blenny and she has been fine with all corals and my clam; she does eat some algae but I have noticed she eats less when I keep the tank well fed, she's gotta get hungry before she'll eat any algae. In that size tank there could be some aggression with other fish that inhabit the rockwork. Overall a great fish with lots of personality. Good luck!

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has not been a problem so far. I always see him picking at the rocks and the glass and always with a full belly.

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only bad thing mine does is it perches on the corals, but so does my Flame hawkfish. doesn't harm them but some corals will retract for a bit. I never touch the back glass of the tank so it can graze on the algae.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one for a few years.... Nips at rocks glass and sand... He would clean the clam shell but never nip the mantle.
He would however rest on the clam mantle, they became used to it and barely cared. He also rests right in the middle of my elegance coral... Hes lucky its not a nem...
Im guessing he can tell the difference because i have 6 and he doesnt touch them...

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not a Lawnmower, I bought a Molly Miller Blenny and the a__hole took big bites out of my clams on the 2nd day in the tank.

Great personality and comical eater, but he had to go. No one messes with my tridacnas.

Reikigirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours is such a clown. He loves to play with the air pump. He kisses the sides to get the algae and works on the rocks but doesn't bother the corals. When I first got my Goby, he picked on him but after the first day, they now co-exist. Other than that, he doesn't bother anything.

Stemick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Starry Blenny he does not mess with the corals but he does think he is the hulk I have to make sure my rocks are secure or he will push them over. If it is loss he will find it. He doesn't not seem to touch hair algae as much but eats all the other algae

:usa2: STEMICK :usa2:

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the lawn mower blenny. I got one from petco and kept it for a couple of years. The only problem was that my tomini hated him and would chase him all over the tank. Dont know why, the tomini never bothered any other fish.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my lawnmower fat as could be always picking and when i put nori in he is right there with the tangs eating it. Also have a orange spot goby who rearranges my sand for me

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back