40G reef stocking

Foskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so I have been really thinking about what I want to put into my reef and I've come up with this possible list:
2 occellaris clownfish (1 orange and 1 black)
1 coral beauty angelfish
1 lawnmower blenny
1 longnose hawkish or flame hawkfish (not completely sure on this one)
1 Canary wrasse or 1 melanaurus wrasse
1 sixline wrasse
My biggest concern is the sixline wrasse with the other wrasses. Do you think it may work if the sixline wrasse is added last? Or would I be better off going with the Canary wrasse and the melanarus wrasse together. Thanks

OP
OP
F

Foskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot to mention I quarantine any fish that go into my tank for a minimum period of 1 month

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the sixline wrasse, they are serious jerks to other wrasses, even if added last. I would add the other 2 simultaneously and call it a day.

OP
OP
F

Foskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the sixline wrasse, they are serious jerks to other wrasses, even if added last. I would add the other 2 simultaneously and call it a day.

Leighton thank you. Thank was my concern. I've decided to get rid of the sixline wrasse. And conferences with the other 2 wrasses and a hawkfish? I've read that the hawk can sit up high in an advantage point and attack peaceful fish like the blenny and the other wrasses. Any thoughts?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leighton thank you. Thank was my concern. I've decided to get rid of the sixline wrasse. And conferences with the other 2 wrasses and a hawkfish? I've read that the hawk can sit up high in an advantage point and attack peaceful fish like the blenny and the other wrasses. Any thoughts?

Any time I have kept hawkfish with wrasses there was never any issue of aggression between the two, I think you should be fine.

I know it's not related to your questions, but Mandarin is great too. :)

-YK

I would recommend against a mandarin with the two wrasses you mentioned. Those two species pick pods and a mandarin needs a large pod population to stay healthy, there would just be too much competition.

OP
OP
F

Foskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no intention on adding a mandarin. What order would you recommended adding them in? I already have the coral beauty and the clownfish

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would leave out the wrasses. They are borderline too big (( for the first 2 )), and too aggressive (( 6 line )) for a 40 breeder.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40g is more than adequate size wise for both Halichoeres melanurus and H. chrysus. Its footprint gives plenty of swimming room.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. Although the Pigmy or Possum Wrasse would be fine, with a cover to discourage carpet surfing :)

Forgot about those 2 --- even had a Possum back when my 40 was up and running. Want one for the 210, but fear I would never see it. :)

And yes, a 1/4" screen would be recommended.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend against a mandarin with the two wrasses you mentioned. Those two species pick pods and a mandarin needs a large pod population to stay healthy, there would just be too much competition.

Thanks for clarify that up. I didn't know that they are not good with each other... :thumb:

-YK

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clarify that up. I didn't know that they are not good with each other... :thumb:

-YK
They would more than likely get along fine, its just the competition for food. Mandarins needs tons of pods and wrasses are ninjas compared to the mandarins that would out compete them.

To the OP, your stock list looks like it will be just fine minus the 6-line. I don't see any problems.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 59 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back