need blue throat trigger tips.

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers i just bought a male blue throat trigger. He is about 4 inches. He is very shy to me. i observed him with the his fellow tank mates and they are all getting along fine. The leader of the tank( yellow tang) is showing who's boss but nothing serious and has already accepted him. The problem is that whenever i come near the tank even in the room he hides and won't come out. He was like this at the fish shop as well but i couldn't resist his beauty. i hope this is normal new behavior and will end shortly thanks for reading and any advice is appreciated.

yazeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must make hem feel safe,no fast movment from you eapecially when you feed the fish and try to feed with your hand and give your tank a chance to know you

OP
OP
ReefFreak@

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all my other fish are fine with me so i hope catches on. But how do i ensure he eats if he hides when i go to feed the tank?

yazeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a copple of tome He well understand that you just feeding and mean no hurm

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens from time to time with new additions. Think about what that poor fish has gone through before you purchased it. He was caught and shipped multiple times quite possibly never really getting a chance to acclimate anywhere. I am sure his shyness in time will fade. I bought a green clown goby a 6 months ago and talking about a shy fish. If I didn't have him in a QT and able to move rocks around I would have swore he disappeared. Turns out with time and patience he is now almost always out and in the spotlight. The main thing is to make sure he is eating. Shy fish tend to have difficulties competing for food. One way to cure this and help draw him out more is to target feed him. I used a pipette to offer him food when my goby was in hiding. After a couple of weeks he started to come out as soon as I put the pipette in the water. Heck he even started to perch on the end of it waiting for the food to come out. As time went on and he became less shy I would start to draw him out more while feeding until he started eating in the water column with the other fish. Now he even sometimes takes food out of the mouth of my female clownfish who is a big bully. I was shocked the first time I saw that. Just give it time and make sure to target feed it if your not sure it's eating. Eventually it will recognize you as the main food source and eagerly await your arrival. Good luck.

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i`ve had the same issue with them in the past they are very shy and skittish at first and I have lost many of them. i have a pair now and this is what i did to acclimate them to me:
i put them in my refugium for a month, fed them frozen mysis by hand to get them use to my presence. I transfered them to the main tank yesterday and within a few hours they came out and started swimming like the owned the tank:) they came up to the front when I fed and these guys eat mysis, flakes, and pellets wow! they are my favorite triggers and good luck with yours:)

OP
OP
ReefFreak@

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, i will try to hand feed tomorrow. He was so hidden this morning i thought he jumped out until i saw his bright yellow fin.

OP
OP
ReefFreak@

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i`ve had the same issue with them in the past they are very shy and skittish at first and I have lost many of them. i have a pair now and this is what i did to acclimate them to me:
i put them in my refugium for a month, fed them frozen mysis by hand to get them use to my presence. I transfered them to the main tank yesterday and within a few hours they came out and started swimming like the owned the tank:) they came up to the front when I fed and these guys eat mysis, flakes, and pellets wow! they are my favorite triggers and good luck with yours:)
Thank you. I have all my fish on spectrum pellets right now and i feed frozen once or twice a week. How did you lose your previous ones?

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I have all my fish on spectrum pellets right now and i feed frozen once or twice a week. How did you lose your previous ones?

Each one I've lost is due to them hiding as soon as I put them in the main tank and never came out to eat. That's why I went this route and seemed to work:)

OP
OP
ReefFreak@

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each one I've lost is due to them hiding as soon as I put them in the main tank and never came out to eat. That's why I went this route and seemed to work:)
ok so i went in the room and as always he went straight to his hiding spot. i fed the tangs and the clowns then i took a piece of shrimp and put it right next to his head where he hides. waited a little but he did not eat it. The pumps kicked back on and the shrimp is just going around the tank. Should i leave it in there for the day or should i take it out and try again later or tomorrow? My only concern with leaving the shrimp chunk in there is if i do this day after day and he does not eat it i do not want to run the risk of it fauling my reef. I do have a giant skimmer and my nutrient levels are low and stable but i like to keep them stable for the corals.

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a blue throat for about 3 months. They are very shy fish so you want to make sure that you feed heavily so you increase there chance of eating the food you put in. Try to not to make a lot of sudden movements because have definitely noticed they will hide if there is a lot of motion. Mine hid in the rocks for about a week but after that he eventually slowly came out more and more. Just make sure you don't have a lot of super aggressive fish because even though the Blue Throat is a trigger it is one of the most shy triggers out there. Hopefully that helped!

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was very shy at first. I know its not good but every time i came towards tank I feed (6+ times a day). I do allot of water changes and have a big skimmer so nutrients never got out of control over the course of about two weeks he associated me with food. now if i walk in the room he is at the front of the tank and will follow me back and fourth. he will eat krill and nori out of my hand. I know feed once a day and he always comes up to great me and dosnt even hide when i put my hands in tank. it just takes a small amount of time and staying calm. Now looking back my corals never looked better when i was feeding so much. I might go back to feeding excessively.

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try hanging nori aswell, because you can leave the room and it will still be there for him to munch on

OP
OP
ReefFreak@

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a blue throat for about 3 months. They are very shy fish so you want to make sure that you feed heavily so you increase there chance of eating the food you put in. Try to not to make a lot of sudden movements because have definitely noticed they will hide if there is a lot of motion. Mine hid in the rocks for about a week but after that he eventually slowly came out more and more. Just make sure you don't have a lot of super aggressive fish because even though the Blue Throat is a trigger it is one of the most shy triggers out there. Hopefully that helped!
HAHA yes he is very much shy. But you are right if I'm not in the room he swims with all the fish. Its me who he is afraid of not the other fish. It makes feeding difficult because i can't confirm if he is eating because he hides. So hopefully like yours if will come out within a week and start feeding with everybody else.

Back