My Black ribbon eel looks like it's missing some skin!

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my black ribbon eel since January of this year and so far he is doing great and eating frozen food everytime he is fed thanks to you guys but now I have another question.

From the time I bought him I noticed a part of his skin looks to be missing. Like it was bitten off or something but didn't pay it too much mind. I used something called Melafix which is for open wounds just in case it was a bacterial infection but didn't really help at all!

I can't seem to tell if it's getting bigger or of its the same I just wanted to know has anyone else experienced this with their black ribbon eel please?

Just want to make sure it's not anything serious.

I will try to take a picture later when he is out!

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned, ribbon eels do not tolerate skin damage very well, often leads to systemic infection. Waiting for a pic.

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh no. Really ok I finally got some pics!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425225289.737317.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425225307.478088.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425225323.366221.jpg

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm now noticing it's only the yellow part of his skin. The black part is super thick and looks healthy tho.

Is this something I should be worried about? As I said before I wasn't sure so what it was so when I first got him I tried treating it with meds for open wounds n infections but it didn't help him.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look like something is on or covering the skin? Or does it look a piece of the fin has been bitten off? Also, what colour is the wound?
Keep an eye out for
Loss of appetite.
Swelling around the wound.
Check to see if the wound changes colour, shape, size or texture or doesn't start to heal.
Weak swimming ability.
Acting lethargic and sluggish.
If you don't notice any of these over the next few weeks, I wouldn't worry about him. Keep an eye on him, keep him well fed and he should pull through. Eels are hardy :)
He's been in your care for almost 2 months now, so I think if it was something nasty, it would be affecting him already. Plus he started eating frozen food, which I doubt would have happened if he was in any pain or stress from the wound. Plus just being on the fin and not spreading to his body and if you haven't noticed any of the things I mentioned above, I would then assume it's just an old battle scar.
Good luck and keep us updated! :)

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Libimagana
tyler1503 No nothing is covering the skin, it's just some parts of the skin that are just missing like its bitten off so no different color.

The thing is it's not healing at all and not sure what else to do. But other than that he is eating and swimming pretty good.

Hmm your right, I've had him for some time now and he came with his skin looking like that and he is still doing Farley well. And she started eating frozen food [emoji51][emoji51].

Thanks for your thoughts I actually feel much better :)

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Libimagana
tyler1503 No nothing is covering the skin, it's just some parts of the skin that are just missing like its bitten off so no different color.

The thing is it's not healing at all and not sure what else to do. But other than that he is eating and swimming pretty good.

Hmm your right, I've had him for some time now and he came with his skin looking like that and he is still doing Farley well. And she started eating frozen food [emoji51][emoji51].

Thanks for your thoughts I actually feel much better :)

Given his otherwise good health I would say not to worry about it. He's a tough old guy. Keep an eye on him and he should pull through without any issues.
By the sounds of it he has already healed up nicely after a fight with another fish some time ago. He may never grow that part of him dorsal fin back, but it shouldn't affect him at all.
No worries :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back