I have officially become addicted to wrasses!

Mercurio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says I have become extremely addicted to wrasses. I currently have 5 in my 210 and I really would like to set up a wrasse only tank. Anyone have some suggestions on what a good size would be? I'd like to keep mainly fairy and flasher wrasses but may try my hand at a tamarin wrasse as well. I know we have quite a few wrasse experts here so I would like their opinions :tongue:. Definitely would like to get a Hawaiian flame, Labout's and Lineatus for the new tank but not sure if they would get along or not.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th bigger the footprint of the tank, the better for having as many wrasses as possible. The above groups are cool, but dont rule out some Halichoeres and Macropharyngodon wrasses as well.

OP
OP
Mercurio

Mercurio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 species of Leopard wrasses in my tank already so that was the main reason I didn't list them. I'd like a few Halichoeres as well but I know the male Hoeven's that I have now can be quite aggressive at times.

My pride and joy at the moment. Also just picked up a male bipartitus this weekend who looks amazing but needs some time to settle in.
036.jpg

Last edited:

Cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then you must watch bulkreedsupply youtube video of wrasses if you havn't yet. by Tea Yi Kai

arashsheikhpoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have 3 different leopards (blue star, ornate and black). I have tried meleagris many times but I have yet to get them to stay alive.. Just recently I picked up a pair and they ended up gettin beat up by my ornate pretty bad, so i moved the ornate into the sump to allow the new guys to settle in. The smaller of the 2 would come out a few hours a day till friday "havent seen since then" and the larger of the two I have not seen since last week. I'm hoping they are just hiding.

I have 3 species of Leopard wrasses in my tank already so that was the main reason I didn't list them. I'd like a few Halichoeres as well but I know the male Hoeven's that I have now can be quite aggressive at times.

My pride and joy at the moment. Also just picked up a male bipartitus this weekend who looks amazing but needs some time to settle in.
036.jpg

OP
OP
Mercurio

Mercurio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have 3 different leopards (blue star, ornate and black). I have tried meleagris many times but I have yet to get them to stay alive.. Just recently I picked up a pair and they ended up gettin beat up by my ornate pretty bad, so i moved the ornate into the sump to allow the new guys to settle in. The smaller of the 2 would come out a few hours a day till friday "havent seen since then" and the larger of the two I have not seen since last week. I'm hoping they are just hiding.

My meleagris and Potter's were very leery of each other for a few days but now they are out together with no problems. Still waiting on the bipartitus male to come out but it's only been 2 days so only time will tell how they get along with him.

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been super interested in getting one of these guys, what type do you recommend? I have heard the potters do the best but they are so expensive. What kind of leopard wrasse did you find the easiest to get to eat? also what do you feed them? Thanks.

OP
OP
Mercurio

Mercurio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Potter's was eating from the start but I've heard that's not the case for all of them. I would definitely say he has been the easiest for me. I feed a lot of different types of food and mine eats anything. I started off feeding him LRS Reef Frenzy and PE Mysis though. He loves NLS Pellets and the nori I feed my tangs too. I bought some reef nutrition arcti pods to feed my new leopards and they seem to like those too. I really want to try some Ova but haven't found any locally.

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he eat in quarantine or did you put him in the tank and he started to eat then? I have heard if you put them in quarantine they try to bury themselves and can injure their mouths on the bottom of the tank.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been super interested in getting one of these guys, what type do you recommend? I have heard the potters do the best but they are so expensive. What kind of leopard wrasse did you find the easiest to get to eat? also what do you feed them? Thanks.
Potters are one of the most difficult. Meleagris and Bipartitus are far more suited for a first leopard.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Potter's was eating from the start but I've heard that's not the case for all of them. I would definitely say he has been the easiest for me. I feed a lot of different types of food and mine eats anything. I started off feeding him LRS Reef Frenzy and PE Mysis though. He loves NLS Pellets and the nori I feed my tangs too. I bought some reef nutrition arcti pods to feed my new leopards and they seem to like those too. I really want to try some Ova but haven't found any locally.

My potters ate from the start as well (Live Aquaria) and my Male Blue Star ate within 3 days. They're both established. I've tried the regular "leopard" wrasse and have yet to keep one for more than a few days. I've tried three! I've also tried four female blue stars and have had no luck (although I added two on Tuesday that I have not seen but it is not uncommon for this fish especially with the jet lag issues - I hope they're OK they looked GREAT). Even from Live Aqauria, I get several shipped to me with swim bladder or pressure issues that are doomed. I would say 1/3 of them come this way and cannot swim once in tank very well. I am about to give up on the female blue stars! I am happy with my male blue star and my potters leopard. I would like a regular leopard wrasse, I may try one again.

But I am definitely addicted to wrasses, here is my current list:
Radient Wrasse (also new since tuesday and have yet to see her :/)
Red Coris Wrasse
Banana Wrasse
(2) Vroliks Wrasse
Blue Star Leopard Male
Potters Wrasse
(2) Female Blue Star Leopards
Scotts Fairy (Cook Islands)
Exquisite Fairy (Maldives variant)
M Solar Fairy
Lubbocks Fairy
McCoskers Flasher
Filamented Flasher
Yellow Coris
Lime Green
(2) Cleaner Wrasse (had for over one year!)

I think that's it!

My "wrasse tank" is a 125.

All of the named wrasses above except for:
Red Coris, Radiant, Banana, One Vroliks, Both Cleaners, and the Lime Green wrasse are in my 125.

Here's a video of the wrasse tank. Obviously the two female blue stars aren't shown nor is the solar for some reason. He's there though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbrK_FxtnqU&list=UUhmnW5j3uL-ehguWWB00wbA Switch to 720P HD

Potters are one of the most difficult. Meleagris and Bipartitus are far more suited for a first leopard.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One female blue star emerged today finally for about an hour. I think she ate some blood worms and then hid again. I also now have a trio of female leopard wrasses (the regular kind not sure of actual name). So she will be my 6th of she makes it as well. Love leopards!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back