Best Pest eating wrasse, that won't eat feather dusters?

DVeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a good pest eating wrasse that eats pyramid snails, nudibranchs, etc, but that won't kill my wife's feather dusters, or she'll kill me.. Lol any ideas/suggestions? Going in a 75g mixed reef, lps, sps, etc. thanks!

MadCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Coris Wrasse, doesn't get very big usually up to 5 inches or so, typically a model citizen and inexpensive. Another good one Melenarus wrasse, never had a problem with either one in my reef tank.

OP
OP
D

DVeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard a lot of melenarus eating dusters. I had a yellow coris for about 3 weeks in qt, went on a trip for 5 days, came back and he was a goner. :(

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most wrasses that are going to be actively hunting like that are going to go after feather dusters. It's just their diet.

If you blow the pests off the rocks with a turkey baster some fish will eat them.

Wrasses can help, but aren't the best form of pest control. Better to QT. Especially considering that pyramid snails are nocturnal.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep feather dusters and coco worms with my group of wrasses, which, as far as pest eaters go include; Halichoeres leucurus, iridis, timorensis, and richmondi, as well as Anampses chrysocephalus, Xenojulis margaritaceus, and Pseudocheilinops ataenia. The best is the richmond and in the past H. chrysus did very well too. My timorensis will stay up an hr orso after lights out, andthe P. ataenia is always scurrying arpund the tank even after lights out.

OP
OP
D

DVeit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep feather dusters and coco worms with my group of wrasses, which, as far as pest eaters go include; Halichoeres leucurus, iridis, timorensis, and richmondi, as well as Anampses chrysocephalus, Xenojulis margaritaceus, and Pseudocheilinops ataenia. The best is the richmond and in the past H. chrysus did very well too. My timorensis will stay up an hr orso after lights out, andthe P. ataenia is always scurrying arpund the tank even after lights out.

**** you got me with all those scientific names! Lol I really like the look of the Richmond. I know live aquaria says it may eat feather dusters though.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** you got me with all those scientific names! Lol I really like the look of the Richmond. I know live aquaria says it may eat feather dusters though.

I would take what liveaquaria says with a pinch of salt.

Your best bet is probably the Halichoeres genus.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dusky Wrasse Is my choice for pest eater. Get a bit big, so perhaps not for smaller tanks though.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back