yellow tang not doing so well

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several months ago, I purchased a small yellow tang. Two days ago, I noticed some red spots, first at the base of a pectoral fin. This morning, I noticed two more red patches, on part of the dorsal and anal fin. It is not eating as well either. All of my other fish are fine. Ammonia, and nitrite are zero, nitrate is less than 5 ppm. Any thoughts?

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that it's a bacterial infection - do you have any pics? If it is bacterial, Furan-2 is a great wide spectrum antibiotic. I wouldn't treat your tank with it, but move him to a QT.

How big is the tank he's in? Stress will open fish up to all types of problems.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a bacterial infection or just "acclimation stress" due to a recent swing in water parameters (from a WC, for example.)

This site has pics/descriptions of both: Marine Fish Diseases and Parasites

OP
OP
D

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I didn't have a chance to get some pictures, I can take some this evening. I don't know how I will get it out short of taking everything out. My last water change was a few days before I noticed changes to the tang. I'll admit I've been slacking checking the specific gravity. The only change I can think of it temp swings. I have a metal halide that will over heat the tank if I forget to turn on the fan.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back