Reef safe Aptisia eating fish

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does someone know of a reef safe fish that will eat Aptisia. A friend has tired crabs but had not luck.

He kinda let them go and now trying rid them...

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an apt eating filefish and could not be happier with him as he has removed all apt from my DT. I have heard mixed reviews on them being reef safe just depends on the types of corals you have and the temperament of the fish itself.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperband Butterfly may eat some Aiptasia, but I haven't had luck with them (eating Aiptasia). They fairly difficult to get started on eating Mysis too.

I previously had a Copperband that was a pig and loved PE Mysis, but I lost him when my tank crashed :(

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because aiptasia and mojano anemones are "reef", a reef safe solution is not available in its literal form.

However, some animals can be used but they're all somewhat risky.

Copperband butterflies, pearlscale butterflies, matted filefish, peppermint shrimp, etc. are all used with varying degrees of success and varying risk to your other inhabitants.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A raccoon butterfly does a great job. It eats pest anemones first, but once they are gone needs to be caught out because it will next move on to corals.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about berghia nudibranches? They only eat aiptasia which is a downside because once they deplete the tank of aiptasia they will starve.

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green file fish always works wonders. Also great little guys. But they do require a more mature tank.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperband Butterfly.

jofost1216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp are your best bet, i got 3 for 15$ and they took out 5 aiptasia in a week and now not a sight of it in months, gave the shrimp away after A month

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 5 for my 180 a few months ago (peppermint shrimp) and have seen no dent in the aiptasia population.

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its about a 25% chance you will get pep shrimp that actually eat aiptasia from what I have found. Plus they only eat small ones if you can find a shrimp eating them. They won't touch the big ones. Kalk is probably your best bet. Doesn't harm your coral and no fish/animal has to starve when the aiptasia are gone

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some monsters. They aren't hurting anything at the moment and with healthy Achilles tang and other tough fish in there I don't know that I feel like adding anything or messing with it

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Copperbands in two different tanks over the last 15 years. I currently have aiptasia in my overflows and sump, but none in the display. They are the best I have found. The only other thing I have seen them mess with is feather dusters. I had a matted filefish in a smaller tank and he did a good job, but after he cleared the tank of pests, he took a liking to all of my zoanthids. They may not all do that, but the one I had did.

Desperado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with those who have recommend the green file fish. That is what I have the best luck with. Some may take up to 2 weeks to start eating it, some less time..... But they will start and when they do you will walk up to your tank one day and be hard pressed to find ANY aptasia. Amazing fish. Never has bothered my corals either.

They just roam around like a helicopter :)

sbmarvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp is a hit and miss. I put 4 in my sump with the infected rocks after using aptasia x and after 4 weeks of seeing no more aptasia they were relocated to my dt and now are part of my clean up crew. I tried aptasia x first but was getting new ones and lots more so thought I'd try the shrimps. And I was not disappointed. But by putting them in the sump there wasn't any other more appealing foods for the shrimp to eat.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back