Flame angel eating coral - solutions?

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a beautiful gorgonian that constantly had its polyps extended and was growing rapidly until kh flame angel decides he was going to try eating coral. Now he picks at repeatedly and I havent seen its polyps in at least a month. It's really sad to watch it die but sadly the flame angel doesn't pick at anything else and is my fav fish so I won't be getting rid of it. Do you think it may also pick at future sps I will get? Is there any way to make him stop? If there is I'd really love to know!

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YA I've always loved flame Angels... Got one on a great deal of $40. And it nipped at my montis and some lps.... He had to go =(

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed him often is only thing I could think, at least twice a day and maybe if he'll eat some seaweed....

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually dont pick at sps. The flames I have seen pick on coral in the past have always seemed more interested in zoas, fleshy lps and clams.

Once an angel starts to pick I have never seen one stop picking on whatever the prefered coral may be.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually dont pick at sps. The flames I have seen pick on coral in the past have always seemed more interested in zoas, fleshy lps and clams.

Once an angel starts to pick I have never seen one stop picking on whatever the prefered coral may be.

This has been my experience as well.

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's still picking on it and it's been extending these long strings from its tips. My zoas around it are starting to close up so do you think I should just go ahead and take out the gorgonian?

angelsandtangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's still picking on it and it's been extending these long strings from its tips. My zoas around it are starting to close up so do you think I should just go ahead and take out the gorgonian?
Time to find a new home for the flame

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone else. I speak from experience (I have tried roughly 6 dwarf angels). Once they start targeting a specific coral, they will not stop. If you remove that coral, they will most likely just find something else to pick at. I would remove the fish.

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, it sucks when they flip. I have had a flame for 6 years now, who has been a model citizen. Over the past few months I have caught that lil ***** eating zoas and nipping at my stingrays. I feed 3-4 times a day

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw him this morning going crazy. I had a pH drop so he's been insane picking at all my fish at keeping my corals closed up. He also had what looked like the beginning of ick/ velvet I guess they don't do good with changes. My kh got down to 6 ( I know its crazy) but he's going in the sump until I can take him to the lfs

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally caught him after about an hour of moving rocks. I really hate yo have to get rid of him even after he's been eating all my coral. I'll be taking him to the lfs for s t ore credit tomorrow. I'm thinking about a sailfin yang to replace him?

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill be watching the divers den for a nice fish that's pretty and will fit in my tank

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped my flame angel for a Midas Blenny, and couldn't be happier.awesome personality, and good community fish ( just sayin) :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had flames that did not have a taste for coral, I've had potters that didn't either. One of my potters though took a liking to clams and zoas, so I moved it to a different tank.

Unfortunately your options are to let it eat some of your coral and eventually wipe out all of it that it likes, or remove it and try again.

OP
OP
carlson

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up taking Jim to the fish store the next day. Somebody else bought him for 80 dollars so I got 40.pretty good considering I bought him on sale from life aquaria for 25

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back