My clownfish wont stop chasing the other.

Reed639

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I have had a clownfish in my tank for about 4 months now and today I bought a new clownfish.The clownfish I have had for awile keeps chasing after the new one and doing a mating dance.Both of the clownfish are the same type of species of clownfish.My old one is bigger than the new one.Could you please tell me why the old clownfish keeps chasing after the new one?

Thanks,
Reed

OP
OP
R

Reed639

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think they are mating?
Or do you think they are getting used to each other?

OP
OP
R

Reed639

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could A clownfish person help me out with this one please!

Thanks

OP
OP
R

Reed639

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There starting to be a little more friendly now.

OP
OP
R

Reed639

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The older one is dancing for the newb and it seems to just swim away,

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do some research, there is alot of info on clowns behavior out there. It is very common for clowns finding a new clown to be very aggressive towards one another, Sometimes to the death but some with time will get along. I doubt they are already mating it is probably just common aggression. Do you know the sexes of them?
When i added another clown in with my origionally it was bullied endlessly everyday all day, in the end he got moved to the biocube, had i not moved him i dont know if hed still be around.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are definitely not mating. Clownfish take things a little slowly. They're social animals and will scrap with each other in order to establish their hierarchy.

It's very likely that you have two females. If that's the case, the smaller one will have to carve out some new territory of its own or it will be killed by the other clown.

How big are your clowns? When you bought the new clown, was it paired with another clownfish at the store? Is it a juvenile? These are all questions that you need to ask before attempting to put two clowns together.

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always best to research research and again more research. Properly doing so will give you a fighting chance with them and avoid lots of problems in the long run.

OP
OP
R

Reed639

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they are both female can they still change sex.

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes^ generally when clowns are kept singly they automatically adopt the female sex! So it's safe to bet your older one is a female and will stay that way your smaller newer addition will become the male if they aren't ripping the fins off of each other they will be fine, one way to help is remind your old one she's fine by feeding small Radom portions of food throughout the day!

OP
OP
R

Reed639

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks For All Your Help.
No they are not ripping the fins off of each other.
Also I fed mysis tonight and they both ate a ton.

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is different I introduced a smaller clown to my existing clown and they became friends quikly hanging out together but now 4 weeks later one is chasing the other. I feed very stingiley dropping only one piece of food at a time. I am a beginner but my theory is it is all about competition for the food and my method of feeding, as this behavior increases when I feed them......opinions please?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back