• Briseltooth Tang

Votes: 35 4.9%

• Total voters

Crooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 people choose an Achilles tang lol and I don't even think 5 people own an Achilles on this site they are so hard to keep I don't see them being as a best tang for anyones tank other than looks

I voted Achilles as its my favorite. I have had mine 1.5 years and know Firebreather on here has had his just about as long. That is two people on here that live close I bet there are many more you just dont know about them.

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 3 different tangs in my system right now and thinking about getting a chocolate tang . .i have a lav tang powder blue and a haw yellow ..

i voted powder ...

Last edited:

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted Achilles as its my favorite. I have had mine 1.5 years and know Firebreather on here has had his just about as long. That is two people on here that live close I bet there are many more you just dont know about them.

Ok 2 still short 3 also I bet any amount of money the loss percentage is greater than the success rate on reefers haveing an achilies. Facts is facts they are just too delicate to keep and a successful story would be people haveing them for 2plus years most dies within the month just my .02 from what I've read and researched in the hobby

Last edited:

Crooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats 2 within 30 miles of each other in the middle of the country. I know everyone says they have a bad success rate. I think your success would be much higher if you get it straight from a wholesaler or shipped direct like from Pacific Island Aquatics

engineeronh2o

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The achilles tang argument is pointless. If you picked a 100 random tanks throughout the reefing population, you might find a 1-2 achilles tangs. In those same 100 tanks, there may be more than 100 yellow tangs. That is the definition of a best tang for a reef tank.

Achilles are cool fish, however if they were easy to keep, they wouldn't be a favorite. Human nature is to want and like what you can't have. Every seller consider Achilles expert-only. I think Powder Blues are way more colorful but easier and common so not the hype.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks engineer that's my point exactly that as nice as achilies tangs are they aren't suitable for reef tanks because of the success rate like you stated out of 100 tanks you might find 2 tanks with them in there besides a yellow purple or powder blue tangs are great lookin tangs that will last a life time and not break the pocket

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The achilles tang argument is pointless. If you picked a 100 random tanks throughout the reefing population, you might find a 1-2 achilles tangs. In those same 100 tanks, there may be more than 100 yellow tangs. That is the definition of a best tang for a reef tank.

Achilles are cool fish, however if they were easy to keep, they wouldn't be a favorite. Human nature is to want and like what you can't have. Every seller consider Achilles expert-only. I think Powder Blues are way more colorful but easier and common so not the hype.

I AGREE i have a powder blue and everyone that comes over and see her they are like crazy over it and want to go out and buy one .. i do have a lav tang that is really pretty too but the powder does the trick in a reef ..

Crooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expert only blah blah blah

Here is mine. Been in my house 1.5 years.

DSC_0548.jpg

strange33w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thread topic is best tangs for a reef tank but the poll is labled favorite tang. So I voted based on the poll title. I went with the Achiles Tang as it is my favorite and it has been since the first time I saw one. And that was before I saw the price tag for it. I also plan to have one in my new tank so will have to see how it goes.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang has finally warmed up to me but that want last long as I'm going to rescape my tank this after noon. Lol

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love the kole tangs. They are less agressive and are one of the best eaters, They even clean the sand.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tigertail does a good job on my sand and what it misses my engineer goby gets every where. Lol

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not on the list the best I have ever had is the HALF BLACK MIMIC TANG!! I have had mine for about 8 months now and it is awesome. it dosnt pick at anything dosnt mess with other fish and looks amazing the best part is they are cheap as far as price for tangs

the half black mimic and the lemon peel mimic look about the same as adults but the big difference is the half black is peaceful and the lemon is semi-agressive

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%

Back