sick clown?

SteelerMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of platinum clowns in my frag tank and one of them has not eaten in 3 days. While watching him today I noticed him pooping out a long white string. I took a pic. Any ideas?
20150116_213131.jpg

OP
OP
SteelerMike

SteelerMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, unfortunately I ended up losing the fish :( I ended up setting up a hospital tank and treating him with metroplex because I couldn't find prazipro locally. I ordered the prazipro and used the metroplex in the mean time but he didn't make it. Now my question is..do I need to treat the whole system with the prazipro since it has now come in? I have no idea how the clown got the parasites as I had him for over a year and I'm nervous other fish may get sick. Thoughts?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal parasites/intestinal worms are not as easily transmissible as most other diseases, so my advice would be to closely monitor all your other fish for "white stringy poop". If another fish show symptoms, then I would assume all your fish need to be treated. Treatment can be challenging because there are so many different kinds of internal parasites that cause "white stringy poop" symptoms. In most cases, treating with a metro/prazi mix is your best bet - API General Cure is what you want. Because while some are resistant to prazi, and others resistant to metro.. it is rare to encounter one that is resistant to both. :wink: If symptoms persist even after treating with metro/prazi, then that means you are likely dealing with nematodes - treatment for that is fenbendazole or levamisole.

Btw, sorry for your loss. :sad:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back