Ich On New Fish, Remove?

AKTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought home two new fish last night and acclimated them to my tank when lights were low. They looked fine then and at the store. This morning they are covered with Ich. How did I not see it at the LFS? Should I remove them right away or is it too late and the whole tank is now infected?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove them right away and hope for the best. Ich has a life cycle and they may not have dropped off the fish yet. It showed up now because of the stress of moving.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "covered" I hope it's not actually velvet, which has a much faster life cycle than ich. Any way you can post some pics?

But as Mike J. suggested, get those fish out of your DT ASAP. Do you have a QT? Whether it's ich or velvet, they will both need to be treated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AKTank

AKTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3617.jpg
IMG_3618.jpg

Sorry. I only have a iPhone to take picts with. If you can zoom in on them you will see the white fuzz. I don't have a QT or these guys probably wouldn't have made it to my DT. It's on the list of things to throw $$ at. I guess I'll take them back to the LFS. Doubt they will give me my money back but I don't know what else to do with them.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see on the basslet and especially the neon goby, it does look like ich. I would start soaking fish food in vitamin supplements such as Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-Chem to build up your fishes immune systems now just in case. Investing in a QT is a decision you won't regret. I'll soon be writing a similar article for reef2reef; but in the mean time you might find this useful: How to Quarantine : Fish Diseases - Diagnosis & Treatment - Louisiana Reef Club

OP
OP
AKTank

AKTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'll check it out. I took them back to the LFS and they gave me a refund. Wasn't expecting that. Thanks for the advice on the vitamin supplements. I'll see what I can find. Only one salt LFS (Petco :squigglemouth:) here so I'll probably have to order something.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back