• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eloehr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Chevron Tang a few weeks back. The LFS has had it in their 3000g frag tank for a 6 weeks. I am waiting one more week to bring home because my QT is currently full. When I get it home next week, how long should I QT for? Should I run a treatment of Cupramine followed by Prazipro before going into the DT. I plan on running the Chevron, Pearly Jawfish and a Valentine Puffer on this QT cycle of fish. I've read some people just QT with no treatment, but I am paranoid that it could be hosting something and just won't show signs while in QT.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally I would suggest treating with Cupramine followed by Prazipro, as tangs are very susceptible to ich. With frags coming & going from the tank he was in, it's very possible a tomont hitchhiked it's way in on a coral frag. However, the presence of the puffer would present a dilemma - as those are often copper intolerant. You would need to treat using an alternative method, such as hyposalinity or tank transfer method; or QT/treat the puffer separately.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eloehr

eloehr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally I would suggest treating with Cupramine followed by Prazipro, as tangs are very susceptible to ich. With frags coming & going from the tank he was in, it's very possible a tomont hitchhiked it's way in on a coral frag. However, the presence of the puffer would present a dilemma - as those are often copper intolerant. You would need to treat using an alternative method, such as hyposalinity or tank transfer method; or QT/treat the puffer separately.
That is along the line that I was thinking. I will probably pickup the Chevron and Pearly, QT with Cupramine and just wait on Puff for later. Or is it possible to pickup all three, QT and remove the puffer after 3-4 weeks? Then I could run a cycle of Cupramine.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is along the line that I was thinking. I will probably pickup the Chevron and Pearly, QT with Cupramine and just wait on Puff for later. Or is it possible to pickup all three, QT and remove the puffer after 3-4 weeks? Then I could run a cycle of Cupramine.

I would just wait on the puffer. If one of the other fish has ich (possibly unseen in the gills), 3-4 weeks would allow enough time for most strains of ich to complete their life cycle, and reinfect every fish in QT (including the puffer). IME; puffers with ich usually show trophonts under their skin, but it's also possible for ich to just invade the gills (out of sight).

Reefersutherland_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would be careful with ich. I had to deal with it in my system. Make sure to feed a lot to them to fight it off!

Back