Treating a Fox Face that was stung by a carpet anenome

Plesoine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple days ago my Magnificent Fox face was stung by a carpet anemone. I removed him and placed him in a 20 gallon quarantine tank. He came out of a 180 gallon reef tank. I have since moved the carpet into a non-reef tank which my Clarkii soon took over as his own. Both are happy. I know chances for my Fox Face are probably slim but I have to try. I took him out of the water tonight and applied Bio-Bandage to him. I attached a couple pictures of his wounds several hours after treatment. I will keep everyone posted on progress and any other ideas please feel free to share with me.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 826
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,176

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try treating him with Malachite Green or Methylene Blue. I would do a bath treatment (see below), just in case he has an adverse reaction to the medication.

Malachite Green/Methylene Blue: Treats ammonia burn, cuts, injuries.

How To Treat - Comes in both liquid and powder form, sometimes mixed in with another medication(s). So, follow the directions on the label. Best used as a 30 minute bath solution, but you also can treat with it in a quarantine tank. Aerate heavily. If you are using it in a bath solution, then it is also a good idea to treat the fish with nitrofurazone (active ingredient found in Furan-2 and Nitrofuracin Green Powder) once he is returned to the quarantine tank. Nitrofurazone is great for treating open wounds or sores.

Pros - Highly effective.

Cons/Side Effects - Depletes oxygen from the water. Malachite Green is considered “harsher” on fish than Methylene Blue.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the QT itself, I would start using an antibiotic to prevent infection from developing (which I think is likely.) As mentioned above, anything that contains nitrofurazone (Furan-2, Nitrofuracin Green Powder) is your best option. However, using something like erythromycin or Kanaplex would be better than nothing. Both are mild and can be used to soak in food (if he is eating), if you'd rather not treat the water directly. See more detailed info below:

Antibiotics: Treats bacterial infections, which are oftentimes “secondary†to preexisting parasitic infestations.

How To Treat - Follow the directions on the label of whatever product you are using. Always use a broad spectrum antibiotic medication i.e. one that treats both gram-positive and gram-negative bacterial diseases (very important). Examples of this include Furan-2, Kanamycin aka Seachem Kanaplex, Nitrofuracin Green Powder, Triple Sulfa Powder or a combination of using both Erythromycin & Minocycline. The latter can be accomplished (albeit expensively) by using freshwater Maracyn 1 & 2 and then doubling the dosage for saltwater use. When battling a particularly nasty bacterial infection, combining Furan-2, Kanaplex and metronidazole (ex. Seachem Metronidazole) can be very effective (and safe). Props to “hedgedrew†for enlightening me of this.

Normally you have to do 4 doses to complete a full course of treatment. The instructions may say to dose every 24 hours, and perform water changes at certain intervals. In my experience, you often have to do 2 full courses of treatment (or 8 doses total) before a fish will show signs of improvement (antibiotics are notoriously slow acting with fish). If a fish shows no signs of improvement after the second full course, then it’s time to try a completely different medication. Just like with humans, sometimes a certain fish will respond better to a different antibiotic. You can run activated carbon at any time when you wish to end treatment.

Pros - One of the few medications that can safely be mixed with others. You can use antibiotics in conjunction with just about everything.

Cons/Side Effects - Appetite suppression, depletes the water of oxygen (so provide additional gas exchange).

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you do this along with the Bio-Bandage or by itself ?

I'm not familiar with Bio-Bandage, so I looked up the ingredients: neomycin sulfate, methylene blue, cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12), binder, adhesion agents in isotonic, aqueous solution.

Neomycin is an antibiotic and methylene blue is the healing agent. So, if he seems to be responding well to Bio-Bandage I would stay the course. I assume you are catching him and applying this topically? How does he feel about that? :wink: Seriously though, be careful of his venomous spines. It's like a bee sting, but some folks can still have an adverse reaction.

Also, is he eating right now? That is critical to his recovery IMO/E.

OP
OP
P

Plesoine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the first dose of the Bio-Bandage last night. Caught him in a net and used very thick gloves then had my wife apply the powder. I don't think he was real happy so if a better less stressful way would be great. I'd day he looks a little better and no he has not eaten now in 5 days, that's how long ago he got stung. Which do you think is the best way to go, This is one fish I DO NOT want lose.....

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I would do in your shoes: Abandon the Bio-Bandage and start giving him 30 mins baths using just methylene blue. Don't get me wrong, the Bio-Bandage seems to have everything he needs, but applying medication to a fish topically can get pretty dicey because you are basically having to manhandle the fish and could do further damage that way. At least with methylene blue baths all you have do is catch him and not worry about him being out of water for so long. Speaking of catching him, try using a plastic colander in lieu of a net (this "Joseph Joseph Square Colander" I got seems to work better than the round ones):
19817318939533p

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's probably going to need antibiotics in time, but I wouldn't treat his QT water with any medication right now because those all have appetite suppression as a side effect. You want to do everything possible to get him eating again; perhaps soak his food or some nori in garlic.

I sincerely hope this fish makes it, but please understand a sting from a carpet anemone does major damage. His body is filled with poison/toxins from the nem sting right now. The most important thing is to figure out how to get him eating again. Because each day he doesn't eat, he is getting weaker and his immune system becomes less capable of fighting this off naturally.

OP
OP
P

Plesoine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, gonna run to LFS now and pick the stuff up. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the advice and wish me luck!!

OP
OP
P

Plesoine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a bottle of Methylene Blue from Kordon. It says only dip for 10 seconds. How long should I actually dip him ? Thanks

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a bottle of Methylene Blue from Kordon. It says only dip for 10 seconds. How long should I actually dip him ? Thanks

Kordon is ate up with their ridiculously high dosage. Do 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons for 30 minutes. Take water directly from the QT, and provide gas exchange in the bucket using either an air stone or small powerhead. You may also need a heater this time of year to keep temp stable.

Here is an excellent read and everything you ever wanted to know about using Methylene Blue: Aquarium Medications Part 3 | Parasite & Chemical treatments

OP
OP
P

Plesoine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, had to go to a LFS that doesn't carry much around here. Closest decent LFS is an hour away and that's who sold me the Bio-Bondage. Going to give it a try now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, had to go to a LFS that doesn't carry much around here. Closest decent LFS is an hour away and that's who sold me the Bio-Bondage. Going to give it a try now.

Good luck. If he starts flipping out, pull him ASAP and return to the QT. Most fish handle Methylene Blue just fine but there are always exceptions.

OP
OP
P

Plesoine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MFF is till going, looks a little better each day. The last 2 days he has picked at food, wouldn't say really eating but has a ate a few pieces each day. I have done a mix of both treatments, Bio-Bandage and Methylene Blue.. I did Bio-Bandage the first day alone, the second day I did Methylene Blue alone.. The 3rd day he laid in my hand acting like wanted Bio-Bandage again, s I did both the following days and he seems to be responding. (sorry, but I Love my fish and believe to a degree he knows i'm trying to help). I will keep you posted.. Humblefish I got to give you a shout out, what would be your next step??

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems you're probably over the hurdle. That fish sustained some pretty bad wounds. A lot of fish don't make it through that. You're doing a good job; just wanted to wish you luck.

OP
OP
P

Plesoine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just ate pretty good for me, not like the hog he normally is but ate fairly well. What is my next step ?

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome job Plesoine! Saving a fish from that sting took some great work on two fronts. First you had a healthy fish to begin with, second you took the time and had the ability to treat him. Some people would have just chalked that fish up as a goner and tossed it out.

Kudos to you!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back