Keeping Achilles tang ick free in reef tank

Armon_p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about trying another Achilles tang, and I would like to know the best way to keep the Achilles ick free in a tank.

I currently have 150 gallon reef with blue hippo tang and naso, and they are both %100 ick free.

So please some tips on keeping an Achilles tang ick free after it leaves the quarantine.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I understand your thread. If your tank is ich free, and you quarantine your Achilles, then it will be ich free. If you have ich in your tank, you can qt your Achilles as much as you want and it will get ich eveytime.

OP
OP
A

Armon_p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that, what should I do to control his ick when he first goes in. My tank has ick but no fish has it

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an Achilles, I would prophylactically treat for both ich & flukes in QT. You also must be certain no ich is present in the DT. If you lost a fish to ich in your DT and have never gone fallow, then assume ich is still present in the aquarium. Achilles cannot "manage" ich like some fish can due to their very thin mucuous coat. Also, they need turbulent water conditions (SPS reef is ideal) and plenty of gas exchange to replicate their natural environment (they are usually collected from crest zones.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Armon_p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs is quarantining it in copper for 3 weeks, and gut loading it with the best food, and if it dies they will get me another one and do it again, so I think I will get a healthy specimen. How do you feel about using Focus and general cure inside mysis food for controlling ick?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that, what should I do to control his ick when he first goes in. My tank has ick but no fish has it

You must QT/treat all of the fish in your 150 for ich, and then go fallow for 72 days. Before trying an Achilles. There is no other way with that particular fish.

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. You will need to get your tank to be ich free. QT every single fish and leave your DT 100% fishless for 8-10 weeks. I'm currently doing the same, but my fish are also in hyposalinity to treat their ich.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs is quarantining it in copper for 3 weeks, and gut loading it with the best food, and if it dies they will get me another one and do it again, so I think I will get a healthy specimen. How do you feel about using Focus and general cure inside mysis food for controlling ick?

I would never trust anyone but myself to quarantine. I especially would not trust a LFS to quarantine a fish. Nothing against the LFS, but the nature of the environment makes it nearly impossible for them to quarantine properly.

Agree with Humblefish above. You need to rid your tank of Cryptocaryon irritans (ich) if you want to have success with an Achilles or any future addition. Focus and General Cure do not treat Crypto. Recommended treatments for Crypto are Tank Transfer Method (TTM), copper or chloroquine phosphate (CP).

OP
OP
A

Armon_p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I have never had an outbreak in my tank, and all of the fish in there before have been with me for years, and recent ones have been quarantined and observed. I don't currently have a problem in my tank, it's just that the Achilles might start one

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you said you had ich in your tank? If it is in your tank, it will be there forever and eventually you will likely have an outbreak. Tangs get it very easily, if it is living in the tank that tang is going to get it, achilles especially because they are so sensitive. Combine that with their thin mucus coat and not having scales is asking for trouble. Before you bring one home, you really should get it out of your system.

OP
OP
A

Armon_p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it just like every tank has it, my fish just don't. I know it's possible to expel ick, but I don't need too. I had success with a powder blue and it never had ick, then I sold it because it got too big

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

Armon_p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you,! For the mean time I will continue ick management because I have success with that. And also, tangs can get brooklynella?

OP
OP
A

Armon_p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you,! For the mean time I will continue ick management because I have success with that. And also, tangs can get brooklynella?

OP
OP
A

Armon_p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have decided that I want to go for the tank fallow. Can you please give me tips and ideas on catching my fish, where to put them, and how long I should fallow the tank etc.

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did my fallow, I caught the easy to catch fish first. Some literally swam into the net lol. Try feeding them and quickly scoop them out while they are at the surface. I had to take my rocks out to, as most hid in them. But hey, at least I got to reaquascape. When you catch them all, put them in QT for at least 8 weeks, 10 if you can just to be sure.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have decided that I want to go for the tank fallow. Can you please give me tips and ideas on catching my fish, where to put them, and how long I should fallow the tank etc.

How many fish are you needing to catch? If you could list them all, we will help you figure this out - from catching them to treatment options.

P.S. Kudos on deciding to do the right thing. The end result will be an Achilles that lives a long, happy life in your tank.
:bigsmile:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back