View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -

So here's what I got:

* 6 ft long 125
* Only fish in there are 2 clowns and some chromis
* Tank has been going for over a year (although just broke it down and setup again due to moving)

I am going to add some smaller juvenile tangs. I am thinking Atlantic Blue, Powder Brown, Blue Hippo and that would be all for the tangs.

* I am not dead set on these 3 as I am open to others.
* I have a 300 gallon waiting for me that in a few years when I buy a home I will eventually transfer the fish in there which will be good as they get bigger and grow.

My question .. I am about to get 2 tangs from a private seller who basically can get anything. I am thinking of getting 2 tangs right away and QT them. Can I qt 2 tangs at the same time IF I add them at the same time? I am assuming that putting one in there, and then a week later adding another one, that the first one I put in may bully the other one a bit since he joined the party later. Not sure though hoping you can help me out in this decision ...

* Also my qt tank is 55 gallons.

Thanks all!

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you put them both in at the same time and have places for them to hide that you should be fine...I had a small yellow tang and bristletooth tang in a 90 for almost a year...dropped them off at the fish store when I moved into our new house though as they would bully some of my other fish, but they got along just fine.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you put them both in at the same time and have places for them to hide that you should be fine...I had a small yellow tang and bristletooth tang in a 90 for almost a year...dropped them off at the fish store when I moved into our new house though as they would bully some of my other fish, but they got along just fine.

^^This; although I think any of the following would be a better fit for your 125 for the next few years: Kole Yellow Eye, Tomini or any of the Bristletooth (Ctenochaetus) tangs.

If you do decide to go with an Atlantic Blue, Powder Brown, Blue Hippo; try to get them as tiny as possible.

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You'll be fine. Keep them fed, keep them happy. Provide plenty of hiding places. I have a friend who just finished QTing a PB and a Purple tang together. No issues. I currently have a Blue hippo and a powder brown as well together in a 29 gallon QT no issues.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^This; although I think any of the following would be a better fit for your 125 for the next few years: Kole Yellow Eye, Tomini or any of the Bristletooth (Ctenochaetus) tangs.

If you do decide to go with an Atlantic Blue, Powder Brown, Blue Hippo; try to get them as tiny as possible.
Thanks guys!..really appreciate it. ...are you saying as tiny as possible for the reason that these types fish usually require alot of room to swim? Or for the sake of qt ing them and/or having them together in the same tank?

firemedix911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I personally like to get the fish on the smaller size. I like for them to grow into my system. Hippos for example grow really fast. I have to think is the fastest growing tang beside the vlamingi(spelling) If you get them smaller now you get to enjoy them happy in your system now and then once you move to the bigger tank will enjoy them even more as they mature into some big butt tangs. LOL.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!..really appreciate it. ...are you saying as tiny as possible for the reason that these types fish usually require alot of room to swim? Or for the sake of qt ing them and/or having them together in the same tank?

All of the above ;) Baby tangs who grow up together are usually a lot more tolerant of each other's presence once they grow up.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GREAT stuff thanks guys!

and yes I agree with the smaller tangs and getting them smaller. I always try to get juvenile ones for many of the same reasons stated. Now here is a question for this topic as I am curious .. IF I were to get one tang and add him in the tank, (lets say the Atlantic Blue) and then a week later I add a Powder Brown, will that be a problem since I added one a week later? Or will they be fine assuming I have lots of hiding places and things like that

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now here is a question for this topic as I am curious .. IF I were to get one tang and add him in the tank, (lets say the Atlantic Blue) and then a week later I add a Powder Brown, will that be a problem since I added one a week later? Or will they be fine assuming I have lots of hiding places and things like that

Would be much more advantageous to introduce them at the same time, so one doesn't get established and tries to dominate the other.

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a yellow tang and a purple tang. I placed them in the tank at the same time. My Yellow Tang would have no part of my Purple Tang being in the tank AT ALL,
So, I got another tank. LOL

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a yellow tang and a purple tang. I placed them in the tank at the same time. My Yellow Tang would have no part of my Purple Tang being in the tank AT ALL,
So, I got another tank. LOL
Ahhh.. haha you have MTS --- Multiple Tank Syndrome too .. I do as well

Ok sounds good then I will def introduce them into the QT at the same time and give it a shot and see how it goes .. thanks gys!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back