is this a bad case of ich or???

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My friend sent me this pic and asked what it was. I'm pretty sure it's ich but have never seen it this bad. Any thoughts?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More likely marine velvet disease (see info below). Whether its ich or velvet, this fish and all (fish) tankmates need to be QT'd and treated with copper or Chloroquine phosphate ASAP.

Velvet (Amyloodinium):

Symptoms - Because velvet can be such a fast killer, key behavioral symptoms will often prelude visible ones. A fish with velvet may breathe heavy, seek relief by swimming into the flow of a powerhead and act reclusive (velvet makes them sensitive to light).

If visible symptoms do manifest; velvet appears the same as ich, except the fish will usually be covered in “dust.” This dust may look gold colored if viewed at the right angle and under the right spectrum of light. Velvet is often misdiagnosed as ich and is the main “tank killer” in our hobby. It can wipe out all your fish in less than 72 hours and cannot usually be “managed” as ich sometimes is.

Treatment options - Chloroquine phosphate is the treatment of choice for velvet, but copper also works if symptoms are caught early on. Tank transfer and hypo does not work with velvet. A freshwater dip or formalin bath is recommended before treatment begins, due to the severity of this disease; however these would only provide temporary relief and will not eradicate velvet.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will be lucky if it makes it through the night he needs to treat him now!:(

Agreed. A FW dip or better yet formalin bath is probably this fish's only chance for short term survival. For long term survival he and his tankmates need copper or CP treatment for 30 days. Leave the DT fallow for 6 weeks.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's pretty serious velvet imo

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately this fish and a few others have already died but he is trying to catch the rest. They are in a 600 gallon tank so it's a little tough.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in a 600 gallon tank so it's a little tough.

OMG ... He needs to move with a sense of urgency or he's looking at a complete wipeout. Sometimes clownfish survive velvet due to their incredibly thick mucous coat but that's usually it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back