Going fallow...

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few fish pass from ich and velvet, so it's time to remove four wrasses and a clown into from the DT. However, this where my issue arises. The wrasses don't show any visable symptoms, except maybe scratching on a rock rarely. The clown is visibly sick and has what seems to be a serious injury or infection in his mouth. When moving the fish into QT, should I remove the clown first and treat him, then add the wrasses once the clown is healthy again? Or add them all at the same time and treat accordingly.

As for going fallow, since I don't actively feed my coral should I add coral food and AA's to supplement while the fish are out?

Any help is appreciated!

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, all fish treated at the same time. If one of my fish had ich, all fish went into qt. Btw, I did hypo salinity for my ich and kept my DT fallow for 10 weeks. My corals were fine because they lived off the nutrients I had (po4 and no3), but if you do feed the corals, I'd only do it once or twice a week. Again just my opinion

OP
OP
ThePriceSeliger

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would hypo be the best for wrasses? More specifically, a melanarus, yellow coris, lubbocks, and a flasher. I know I need a small Pyrex dish of sand for a few of them to sleep in, so having this sand will make it very difficult to dose medications?

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of meds unless necessary (strictly my opinion, just not my preferred method). I'd also use new dry sand for the wrasses. My reasoning is because live sand going into a qt can cause a die off (especially if you choose hypo salinity) and you have to battle something else. At least with dry dead sand there should be little to no die off to worry. I've done hypo with a wrasse before and didn't have a issue, it also was a melanarus

OP
OP
ThePriceSeliger

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of the clownfish and the injury/infection on his mouth?

In the meantime, reading this will probably answer most of your questions about going fallow: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-diagnosis/190324-fallow-periods.html

It's pretty impossible to see, but it looks like a large white growth right on his mouth. His color is a little faded, but he's still eating well with a little struggle getting food off the surface.

Edit: I guess it's some type of mouth fungus. So the question remains, should I remove the clown and treat, then remove the wrasses and add them to the QT tank with the clowns then sit fallow?

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't be 100% sure, but I think that's just Lympho. Search for Lymphocystis on Google Images and see if you think it matches. There are pictures on there of fish with Lympho on their mouth.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems to be correct.

Typically, Lympho is a harmless virus with no known cure. The fish carries the virus for life, and it will come and go. It seems to come when the fish is stressed for whatever reason; conversely maintaining pristine water quality and feeding vitamin soaked foods seems to expedite the going away process.

The problem is if Lympho grows over a sensitive area such as the mouth or gills. Is your clownfish still able to eat despite the growth?

OP
OP
ThePriceSeliger

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, Lympho is a harmless virus with no known cure. The fish carries the virus for life, and it will come and go. It seems to come when the fish is stressed for whatever reason; conversely maintaining pristine water quality and feeding vitamin soaked foods seems to expedite the going away process.

The problem is if Lympho grows over a sensitive area such as the mouth or gills. Is your clownfish still able to eat despite the growth?

Yes, he can eat, not as well as he should, but I make sure he gets a few mouthfuls. So, since the DT needs to sit fallow, I shouldn't worry about the Lympho and go ahead and move the bulk of the fish over?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, he can eat, not as well as he should, but I make sure he gets a few mouthfuls. So, since the DT needs to sit fallow, I shouldn't worry about the Lympho and go ahead and move the bulk of the fish over?

Yeah, I would just move all your fish over to QT and begin treatment.

Back