Midas blenny swollen throat (hard time swallowing food)

D311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had him for a few days now in QT. He's about 2.5-3 inches. First day he took a few pieces of brine and 1 piece of mysis. I noticed he had a hard time swallowing each piece. Sometimes coughing it back up. While trying to swallow, his throat is very swollen.

2nd day I tried small pellets, which he got down to his belly. I could see the lumps. He had a hard time swallowing though.

3rd day he tries to eat but spit food out. Seems he can't get it to his belly. Throat looks swollen only when trying to swallow food. I'm feeding tiny pellets/small brine pieces. He kind of bobs his head up and down then spits food back out.

Tonight I dosed prazipro. Incase it's flukes (no visual signs) or internal parasite.

Another thing is, I have 2 Cardinal fish in same QT (been there a week longer than blenny) They were doing great, eating non stop. After Midas introduction they are showing little interest in food. 1 Cardinal refuses to eat now.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a strange issue. My only guess (and that's all it is) is there is some sort of growth inside the fish's throat. Could be Lymphocystis (a virus), as that can grow inside a fish including over internal organs. If it's a tumor that's really bad news.

Either way, I don't see anything you can really do about it except wait and see. A blenny is too small to attempt surgery on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D311

D311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah strange indeed. Just puzzles me why the 2 Cardinal fish aren't eating all of a sudden (since day after blenny arrived). Today I'm on the hunt for some Ova food for the blenny. You'd think he could swallow that no problem..

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar ova is not really in circulation anymore, unless you luck out and find a LFS with some still in stock. Cyclopeeze should get the job done just as well for your purposes and is more readily available. Hard to say what might be going on with the cardinals without more symptoms to go on.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen Cyclopeeze seems to be most desirable by small fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D311

D311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** you're right. No ova. It's been awhile... Got the cyclopeeze, on way home to see if the little guy will eat. Thx, and I'll try to get some pics of the Midas throat when trying to eat.

OP
OP
D311

D311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the Midas to eat a few blood worms (are these healthy for fish?) and rods coral blend. Cardinals lacking appetite sigh.. Prazipro could be suppressing appetite even more with them.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my Copperband bloodworms when I run out of live blackworms. Have you looked around for those? Prazipro will suppress appetite.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is frozen cyclopeeze available again? Couldn't find it anywhere for a while.

Not much you can do besides dose Prazi. I wouldn't blame it on the food type if the fish suddenly stopped eating.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is frozen cyclopeeze available again? Couldn't find it anywhere for a while

Last time I bought it came in a two pack. One pack was Cyclopeeze, the other was PE mysis.

OP
OP
D311

D311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I just bought the 2 pack PE. Still around [emoji106]

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back