My fish have marine ICH! And I need help please?

RIKYRUDD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish have ICH and I'm kind of confused on how to treat it, I have a 40 gal breeder and its a reef tank, I don't wanna lose my fish or coral and I don't a quarantine tank, any questions or guidance? All water parameters are good, ammonia -0, nitrates -0, nitrites -0, phosphates slightly high because I've been feeding often thus the little agae bloom.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to cure ich is with copper or hypo salinity. Do NOT do either of these in your DT. If you keep your fish well fed and water parameters stable and safe the fish might be able to avoid death. However it will always be in your tank if you do not treat all your fish and run the tank fallow. Also, coral will not die because of ich.

OP
OP
R

RIKYRUDD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank fallow?
Yea I know corals won't die because the ich needs a bone structured life to feed off of, so I know they will be safe. I bought this product called kick-ich but it says to turn my skimmer off and run it for 15 days basically. I noticed the fish getting worse by the day. I do feed them well. I have a blue tang ( which contracted the parasite first) and the once she's started to get worse I noticed yesterday when I posted this once getting home from work all the other fish started to get white spots all over like grains of sand. My yellow tang, 2 clown fish, and a royal gramma. I know this is probably a mistake but I was a little desperate being new to the hobby (I hope nobody gets upset reading this, FYI I've only been running this tank for about 4 going on 5 months) but I was recommended a cleaner wrasse. I did put him in an led saw him for a few seconds and he disappeared since then:/ but regardless of that I'm not sure how to go about treating them being I don't have a QT

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im no help here but get ready for the Tang Police to show up... Its gonna get nasty unfortuantely... Hope everything turns out for the best.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do not have a QT tank, don't panick. Theres not much you can do but keep them well fed, with no added stress. You can fresh water dip them, that will remove the surface parasite, but its still in the tank, it will also stress the fish, trying to catch them.
I'd just leave em and observe. Feed them twice a day if you can, doesn't have to be a truck load, just enough to fatten em up.

OP
OP
R

RIKYRUDD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so basically live with the ich in the tank? Lol hopefully all goes well I kinda have no other options lol
You have a QT tank reef?

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[Tank fallow] means keeping your display tank fishless untill parisites die off. they can't live without a host fish. It takes aruond 12 weeks. You can treat fish in a brute trash can. I use cupramine and test it with a seachem cooper test kit. Start treatment as soon as posible.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like mentioned above hypo and copper kill ich. The only in tank options I see are feeding atleast once a day with added garlic or selcon and maybe hooking up a nice UV sterilizer which will disrupt the ich life cycle. But that's pretty opinionated and you must use a nice uv and the correct flow rate. You just wasting money with snake oil products like kick ich. Good luck!

OP
OP
R

RIKYRUDD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[Tank fallow] means keeping your display tank fishless untill parisites die off. they can't live without a host fish. It takes aruond 12 weeks. You can treat fish in a brute trash can. I use cupramine and test it with a seachem cooper test kit. Start treatment as soon as posible.

How can I keep the water oxygenated and all the right parameters without a skimmer?

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a foam filter with a powerhead. you can use your powerhead from your skimmer. or an air pump and air stone

OP
OP
R

RIKYRUDD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hang on filter I can just remove the carbon in it and run that with an air stone and a powerhead probably. Those are my basic options.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so basically live with the ich in the tank? Lol hopefully all goes well I kinda have no other options lol
You have a QT tank reef?
Nope, I do not have a QT tank, never have run one. Most times if the fish got ICH when you added him, then his health was generally not good to begin with. My Hippo Tang gets ICH everytime I do something to the tank. She just got rid of it last week as a matter of fact. Had it for probably 4-5 weeks. Dumb fish. She gave it to 3 other of my fish, but I didn't do a thing, just kept on with day to day operations. They are all fine.

OP
OP
R

RIKYRUDD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea she was healthy when I got her, my LFS is pretty legit. Very intelligent people and always have healthy strong looking fish. She was good and I've fed my fish really well, I fed them dried seaweed, marine ROE fish eggs which was initially for a mandarin but he never caught on to eating frozen foods [emoji17] and blood worms also for the mandarin but all my other fish end up eating it. I also give them spectrum both the green bottle specifically for tangs and algae grazing fish and the protein including one being I have a royal and pair of clowns. Within the last month I had a kind of bigger algae bloom due to feeding regularly so I would feed less and that's when I noticed she got ich (blue tang ... Smh) and it went away.. She looked healthy full of color, nice and fat and happily swimming and then in just a few days (4/5) she just kind of relapsed I guess and now I noticed all my other fish have it now. So I know I need to treat it before it gets out of hand and kill my fish. I noticed she looks a bit distressed having trouble breathing so it seems and from what I've been reading. She still has an appetite thank God so I've been feeding everyday

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up and running for 20 years or more. When I added a powder blue tang, that looked great,It came down with ICK, All the other fish that where in the tank came down with it to. They all ate like pigs, so I tried the feed well and build up there amunity rout and it did not work for me. I lost the tang and 3 other fish i had for years. I put put the rest of the fish in QT and treated with cupramine. thats the only thing that saved the fish.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am by no means a member of the tang police :smile: but you unfortunately you have a lot of potentially large fish in a relatively small tank......the odds of them continuously fighting off the parasite will be pretty slim due to over crowding. I personally would remove the tangs and concentrate on keeping the remaining clowns, gramma, and wrasse well fed as already has been stated. At that point you can try feeding one of the Ich pellet foods such as Ich-Shield from New Life Spectrum which some people have had pretty good success with. You really don't have any other options without a QT.

Triggerpuller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fighting Ich for months. I would say invest in a 10 gallon QT, look up Humblefish's article under Fish Dieses in the Forum. He has a good understanding of the problems and some good info on how to deal with it. Ich is hard to live with in your tank, it is also hard to get rid of once you contract it. It will cost you hundreds of dollars in fish or you can go out spend maybe 60 bucks and setup a QT that will make sure you don't lose any fish in your DT and that it stays Ich free. The problem I have found with the QT, is patience but hey that's life. I am struggling to keep my fish alive and I will tell you, I managed ich for about 2 years and it cost me over 600 dollars in fish. Even with everything I have went through I still make dumb mistakes.

OP
OP
R

RIKYRUDD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys, that's what I'll end up doing. It's my best bet to get a QT set up and just dose them with ich medication. Appreciate all your input and help guys, much obliged!
On another note I do plan on getting a bigger tank due to having a few fish and them being on the bigger size as far as the tangs, and also because I'm falling more in love with corals [emoji28] so I'm probably gonna look into a bigger tank in the near future, if anyone has any info an a bigger tank is greatly appreciate it [emoji28] in the south gate area 90280

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back