What is that!! Please help ID

JetStarheart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
. There are 2 of them I saw for the first time.. Other i on my liverock.. Look like black slugs? I have added nothing new in past 3 months. Well maybe 2.. Couldnt get a good clear shot as they glide pretty fast. Good bad? All my corals seem fine.. Well what got me searchin was my torch shed 1 " tentacle" but that was opposite side of tank from these.

OP
OP
J

JetStarheart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that have blue "antennae" on their back.. I looked that name up. Could be.. But these dont have the white shell on them.. I do however have limpets in my tank that I have seen. They are smaller and never leave the vermatid infested piece of rock

OP
OP
J

JetStarheart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw off topic.. Why say no to clove polyps? I love em.. Cannot get em to establish..i keep losin em :(

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw off topic.. Why say no to clove polyps? I love em.. Cannot get em to establish..i keep losin em :(

Just because they can be incredibly invasive. If you want them, isolate them on their own rock "island" where they cannot spread to the rest of your rockwork. :)

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because they can be incredibly invasive. If you want them, isolate them on their own rock "island" where they cannot spread to the rest of your rockwork. :)

The little blue ones can't be isolated. They are brooders. They release live, free swimming larvae that can end up anywhere in your tank. I even had them in my sump.

This is how bad my tank was before the removal, https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/71555-ritter6788s-75-gallon-3.html#post1077528

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that have blue "antennae" on their back.. I looked that name up. Could be.. But these dont have the white shell on them.. I do however have limpets in my tank that I have seen. They are smaller and never leave the vermatid infested piece of rock

The white shell is actually covered in the black skin. You won't see it all the time. They are also known as Shield Limpets or Elephant snails. Hard to tell from the pic but that's my best guess based on your description.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Black Stomatella Snail, very cool and great for the CUC. I used to have several before my Flame Hawkfish realized that they were exceptionally tasty treats.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
J

JetStarheart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing photos looks more like stomatella than scutus.. Mine do not have he huge cape nor the white hard shell.. Thank you everyone!!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it seem more "fleshy" or hard like a snail or maybe a snail with small shell?

From the way it is angled on the net, I am leaning more towards a scutus.

f2fa230d.jpg

OP
OP
J

JetStarheart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ines in my tank do not have those ruffly wings on the sides. Also do not have a white hard shell like in the picture.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back