Protect nem from Power head?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey nem keepers, I am getting a RBTA but I have 1 koralia power head pretty much in the center of the tank. I know nems sometimes get trapped in the intakes and I don't want that to be the fate of my nem. Koralias don't have a single intake but rather the intake water is dispersed the whole way around the power head, so is a nem safe with a koralia since it does not have a single focused sucking point? If they are not, can you buy sleeves to go around the koralia or can I make a diy sleeve?

newjack0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't waist ur money on the stuff they have for it. Just get some mesh screening and rubber bands. Rap it and tie it on.

newjack0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and may I add don't use metal screen, use plastic. Metal will rust so bad in there. I cant belive I used metal the first time, wasn't thinking.

pecman347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the nem is new to the tank it'll roam until it finds it's "happy place." But once they're settled and things are stable, the nems usually don't move. I have 4 RBTA's in my cube, and they haven't moved in over a year. HOWEVER, my cousin had a tank where he placed his nem with an uncovered Koralia and it was minced in a matter of minutes. So cover it until the nem's settled.

pecman347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, RBTA's like to have their roots somewhat in a crevice. If you can put your nem somewhere with a "hole" so that it can cram it's foot in there, it'll be less tempted to move later. Just make sure you can see it otherwise it might find a home in the back of the rockwork away from your eyes.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's my plan. I just tweaked my rock work and now it has a nice big open area with lots of crevices for a nem to plant its foot. Of course I know that the nem might not find that place as attractive as I do! LOL. I wondered about zip-tying a hot magnum filter sleeve around the koralia. I wish they made them in black instead of blue though.

RyanCrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although if it looks like he settled.... He didn't. Keep it on there for longer than needed. Mine got shredded but somehow managed to survive and re-bubbles himself:p looks better than ever now that's he's healed

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although if it looks like he settled.... He didn't. Keep it on there for longer than needed. Mine got shredded but somehow managed to survive and re-bubbles himself:p looks better than ever now that's he's healed

OK, will definitely keep that in mind. I used to have an enormous sabea nem but he never moved once he got settled. I think the RBTA are more nomadic.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back