what kind of starfish is this

Obdigital1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of Starfish Is this. I love It. It Is always out, never hides and seams to be very coral safe as I have had It for 3 months now and has not messed with my coral. Want a next one but don't know Its name and where to find It. NO ITS NOT A BRITTLE STAR as far as I can tell. real small. the middle Is the size of small nail head.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 225
OP
OP
O

Obdigital1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Is this ????????

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 234
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 210
  • photo 6.jpg
    photo 6.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 225

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - replied in the other post about them too ..... but after it was suggested that they were bubble tip brittles - I looked that up and it led me to believe that what we have are actually "sea fan brittle stars" ..... haven't found mention of them supposedly in Florida but couple photos are pretty much identical!

cryptics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a brittle not the same as the green or red but definitely a brittle. I picked up three the other day. Two of them are out on the rocks all day. The other one hides all day

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look closely at its fingers on its legs. Hard to tell from far shots, but if they look like these up close, its a Bubble Tip Star. Like I said, its hard to tell from both Threads exactly what they are. But, thats my guess.
bubble_tip_star.jpg

OP
OP
O

Obdigital1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at them close they do look to be this starfish for sure. Thanks

Look closely at its fingers on its legs. Hard to tell from far shots, but if they look like these up close, its a Bubble Tip Star. Like I said, its hard to tell from both Threads exactly what they are. But, thats my guess.
bubble_tip_star.jpg

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that's what we have, Not sure from what part of the world mine is but its deff this kind of starfish for sure. How do yours do? do the stay out a lot like mine??

They sure do - unlike any of the other brittles and/or serpents I have - these are out all the time instead of hiding in the rockwork. Not real active but out to see at least!

OP
OP
O

Obdigital1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok then you and me def have the same species at least, Maybe even from the same part of the world cause mine don't move much but never hide as you say yours do. Love this site ;-)))))

They sure do - unlike any of the other brittles and/or serpents I have - these are out all the time instead of hiding in the rockwork. Not real active but out to see at least!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back