Cucumber Fish Killing Toxin. My Experience and How To Deal

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of us have heard tales about how sea cucumbers can “nuke†your tank. However most of us have only heard this by 3rd parties. Unfortunately I myself have experienced it.

I had a black sea cucumber, about 4-5 inches long, but could stretch to about 7 or 8 when he wanted. The last few weeks of his life he started to climb into the rocks, not acting like a normal sand eating cucumber. Late on a Friday night, my cucumber was in a rock, with his mouth tentacles out in the water, acting very strangely. I decided I would help him out of the rock. I had done this on multiple occasions as I am the obsessive mother reefer type who does whatever she can to help her critters. If you have ever held a sea cucumber, you will know that they are very smooth and slimy, not easy to grasp whatsoever. So trying to get this sea cucumber out of the rock was proving difficult. I was able to push him out one side after almost 10 minutes of struggling. He had a few abrasions, but this also had happened before and he healed just fine. So I put him on the sand and called it a night.

I was going to stay the night at my Dad’s house, which is about 15 minutes away from my Mom’s house. On the way, I was watching the web cam I have set up for my tank. I noticed that my copperband butterfly was out swimming! It was already after 1am, all the lights were off, and no reason for her to be out. But she was silly, so I let it slide. A few minutes later I noticed my 2 clownfish were also out swimming! This was very strange as they live in their anemone. I then also saw my blenny darting about. This all added up in my head that something was wrong and I needed to go back and figure out what was wrong.

When I arrived back at my Mom’s house I was able to see what was happening. All the fish were breathing heavy to the point of hyperventilating. So I sprang into action. I knew in the back of my head about the sea cucumber toxins. I pulled the cucumber out, who was very limp and lifeless and put him in a cup of tank water. I started up 4 different air stones/air pumps to increase the oxygen. I had 20g of RODI already beginning to heat up as I do water changes on the weekend, so I threw in the salt so it could begin to mix. I got out all the carbon I had, 6 pre-packaged bags, 100 grams each and rinsed them and put them in the sump baffles. I also increased the skimmer production.

Waiting for the water to be ready was hard. I was also struck with the choice of doing a water change, ~20% on a ~100g system or put the freshly mixed water into the quarantine tank and try and get the fish in there. My Dad and I decided to do the water change. The quarantine tank was still being cleaned after being used a few weeks before and would need to be emptied, finish cleaning equipment and filled. And then try and catch all the fish! So we did the 20 gallon water change in the display.

I had 9 fish in the tank. 2 clown fish, 2 dragonface pipefish, 1 fancy gumdrop coral croucher, 1 randall’s goby, 1 copperband butterfly, 1 tribal blenny and 1 mandarin. The butterfly and the blenny were doing the worst, followed by the clownfish. The other 5 fish seemed to be either not affected or only mildly affected.

After 2 hours of doing everything I could, I had to go to sleep as I had prior commitments the next day, and there was nothing else I could do. At this point I also noticed the cucumber was actually still alive. I wasn’t up to making any decisions about him so I put the cup he was in in the sump so he would at least stay warm. I turned off 2 of the air stones and left 2 of them on.
I checked on the camera when I woke up and noticed I did not see the butterfly swimming and thought I saw her body on the sand, which was expected. Everything else looked “okayâ€. So I went to my Mom’s house and sure enough, the butterfly was dead and I removed her body. All the fish except the blenny looked pretty good. The clowns were still breathing a little heavy, but nothing compared to just a few hours before. The blenny though was very obviously in distress. I started mixing 15 gallons of water so I could do another water change later on.

When I got back from my day, the blenny was dead. This was very upsetting as he was my 3rd fish and I had had him for over a year. At this point all the other fish were fine, although a bit confused about the 2 fish losses. The cucumber was still alive, but barely. So I put him in the freezer so he could die quicker as there was no reason for him to suffer. I also performed the 15 gallon water change and left the 2 air stones going, just to be safe. Later on that night I removed the air stones. During all of this I did add about 8 oz of StartSmart, a bacteria to help the nitrifying process (however I do not think this played much of a part, but for documentation sake I included that here).
It has now been 7 days since the incident. I have removed the carbon. All 7 fish look great and seem fine.

I can only thank being prepared for such situations for the small amount of fish loss, and also being so quick about it. Sea cucumbers are not evil and not a guarantee they will “nuke†your tank. Only severely stressed cucumbers release their toxins.

So if you have a cucumber or are planning to get one please keep this in mind. 1. Don’t bother the cucumber. Some cucumbers are just weird, keep an eye on them, but don’t bother them. Get to know his or her behaviors and antics 2. Have plenty of RODI water on hand; enough to do at least 20% water change, more if possible. 3. Carbon, carbon and more carbon. 4. Don’t stock any fish or inverts that may disturb the cucumber. 5. Realize that it is a risk having them in the tank.

Cucumbers are wonderful creatures and can be big helps in the home aquarium with the sand bed. Despite what happened, I miss my cucumber and wish he had managed to live. I caused his stress so I do not blame him.
I hope my experience will help others in case they too encounter this problem or at least educate others about this issue. If you have a cucumber and he releases his toxins, please try and document what you did or do, as I believe more information on this matter is needed. However I am not willing to stress a cucumber out enough to release his toxins and see how it affects the fish and what other methods could be implemented to combat the toxins (please do not do this just for research!!).

Thank you for reading, good luck, hope for the best, plan for the worst and happy reefing!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up! Thank you for sharing your experience.

mfief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. It's nice to know that I already have most everything on hand in the event that my cucumber does this.

Kano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiger tail cucumber and I worried about when it dies what would happen. He has split himself so I now have a total of four tiger tail cucumbers. So far all are alive and well but after reading your experience I'm more concerned than previously. Not sure how long they live and since they keep splitting I have no idea how I'd determine if one is more likely to die than the others. I've had him since Feb 03, 2012.

OP
OP
Squishie89

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have heard if a cucumber dies relatively naturally or quickly they do not release the toxins. It is more of a stress related issue.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great information! thank you for taking the time to do such a thorough write up. I love cucumbers - don't have one currently but have kept them in the past....I removed them when their behavior changed concerned about what you wrote up.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Good write up.

I recently lost my sea cucumber that I had over 2 tanks and a total of 16 years.
My 240 developed a leak, so I made arrangements for a new tank. Got stock tanks and holding tanks for fish, corals and rock.
Put most of the corals I was going to keep in a 50 gallon stock tub with a heater and a powerhead ( koralia ) and I put my sea cucumber in there as well. Mostly because it seemed the safest place for it.
Two days later I got up one morning to check temps and water levels and saw the coral tub water was cloudy.
Looked in and saw nothing but bare lps skeletons.
Somehow the sea cucumber made it up to the koralia and got sucked in, killing it.
Lost a couple very large frogspawns, hammers, very large green sinularia and various other corals and of course the sea cucumber that was my grand kids favorite critter.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have heard if a cucumber dies relatively naturally or quickly they do not release the toxins. It is more of a stress related issue.

I too have heard that if a cucumber dies naturally and quietly they don't release toxins, kind of like cow fish and puffers. I do have a cucumber and I appreciate your thorough write up in case I need it sometime.

OP
OP
Squishie89

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good write up.

I recently lost my sea cucumber that I had over 2 tanks and a total of 16 years.
My 240 developed a leak, so I made arrangements for a new tank. Got stock tanks and holding tanks for fish, corals and rock.
Put most of the corals I was going to keep in a 50 gallon stock tub with a heater and a powerhead ( koralia ) and I put my sea cucumber in there as well. Mostly because it seemed the safest place for it.
Two days later I got up one morning to check temps and water levels and saw the coral tub water was cloudy.
Looked in and saw nothing but bare lps skeletons.
Somehow the sea cucumber made it up to the koralia and got sucked in, killing it.
Lost a couple very large frogspawns, hammers, very large green sinularia and various other corals and of course the sea cucumber that was my grand kids favorite critter.

I am so sorry for your losses. However this is really interesting. How long had it been since you last checked on the stock tank with the cucumber in it? I am curious if the reason it affected the corals is a long time with the toxin or maybe lack of filtration? Please do tell me more!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am so sorry for your losses. However this is really interesting. How long had it been since you last checked on the stock tank with the cucumber in it? I am curious if the reason it affected the corals is a long time with the toxin or maybe lack of filtration? Please do tell me more!

When I placed everything in stock tanks, I checked them every waking hour the first day and the second day. It was actually the morning of the 3rd day that as I made my morning check that I found the problem.
The tank had live rock, circulation, heat and T5 lighting.
On the second day I did a moderate (35%) water change, just to make sure.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There was no telling exactly when the cucumber died, so worst case it could have died shortly after 11pm. I found the mess at 5:30 am the next morning.

OP
OP
Squishie89

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I placed everything in stock tanks, I checked them every waking hour the first day and the second day. It was actually the morning of the 3rd day that as I made my morning check that I found the problem.
The tank had live rock, circulation, heat and T5 lighting.
On the second day I did a moderate (35%) water change, just to make sure.

There was no telling exactly when the cucumber died, so worst case it could have died shortly after 11pm. I found the mess at 5:30 am the next morning.

Wow that is crazy. I had not heard about the toxin affecting corals like that. Did anything survive?

DGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... Thank you for taking the time to actually document your experience, many can learn from it!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wow that is crazy. I had not heard about the toxin affecting corals like that. Did anything survive?

I lost about 1/2 of the corals that were in a crowded 240. What surprised me was I lost every single mushroom I had.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost about 1/2 of the corals that were in a crowded 240. What surprised me was I lost every single mushroom I had.

O man, I am so sorry for your losses. We try our very darnest to take really good care of all our creatures and then something totally unforeseen like that happens!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back