Fear and Loathing in my 55gal

dgrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I brought home a coral banded shrimp and a diamond back goby to add to my 55 with my paired clowns and peppermint shrimp.

So turns out this coral banded shrimp is a total jerk! he's been going at my peppermint shrimp all day, looked like he wanted to go at my clowns too. big no no. So he is sitting in a separate tank on his own to be returned tomorrow. Now my peppermint shrimp has been acting all scared and hides really far from his normal spot so

question #1: How long will it take for him to resume his normal activities? He also seems much less red than usual, why is that?

question #2: After being harassed by the coral banded so long he kinda acted like he was gonna go after the goby? maybe he was just seeing who was friend who was foe? what's going on there? he has been cool with the clowns they do buddy type things together.

question #3: If I get a pistol shrimp (as I heard they do cool things with the goby) is something similar going to happen?

Last edited by a moderator:

seancc317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being less vibrant red could be due to stress. Usually a big reason for color change. I had jet black seahorses and when they were stressed, they would turn a grayish white color. Also pistol shouldn't be a problem especially if paired with Goby. It will just burrow a hole in the sand usually under rock and just chill there with the Goby and mind it's own business. Won't roam too far from the hole.

jcrider48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arrow crabs do

I had an arrow crab for 4 months no problems one day noticed him on top of my power head next thing he had my chromis and crushed his back bone. I took it away he ran about an hour later he was perched on the power head again watching my Picasso clown. Needless he spent the night in isolation and re-homed the next morning as that particular Picasso was the reason I started this saltwater tank.
image.jpg
image.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back