Eulogy of squishy the sea hare

prime8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired a dwarf sea hare to help out in my sps reef tank that was beginning to develop a bit of a hair algae problem from a frag that I apparently forgot to scrub while in the dip. A few tufts of hair algae popped up and began to grow in places a traditional cuc member, namely Mexican turbo and other snails couldn't reach well.
Long of the short, after two days of grazing on a hefty amount of hair algae on one rock , my dwarf sea hare, named squishy, died. No other fish bothered him, water parameters are fine, he was properly acclimated before going into the main tank. He just up and died after two days of heavy grazing.
Has anybody ever heard of a sea hare dying of over eating?
I posted up on another form and one member suggested I eulogize the much missed critter.
So I present to you.......

EULOGY OF SQUISHY:
A sea hare that had too much hair[algae]

"Yea, though I swim through the valley of the shadow of ich, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rods roids and thy larry's reef frenzy, they comfort me."

Now, obviously, when I invested in you as the newest member of my CUC, I wasn't hoping for a terrifically long or indefinite lifespan. In my vast experience, other CUC members such as turbos and astreas last about as long as a stick of Juicy Fruit. But you being a sea hare, a slug, a snail without a shell, I thought you would at least last longer. That you'd at least be a 64 piece value pack of big red!
But it twas not to be....

You were a part of my family, squishy. And you will never be forgotten. You will, however, be replaced the next time I have 12 dollars 99cents and am nearish to BioReef.
The time we spent together... you grazing on algae; me, face pressed against the glass; brought more joy to me than any bottle of algacide could've. And yet before your work here on this earth, and in my tank, was done you were snatched away in the prime of your life, and in the prime of an algae outbreak. You will live forever in my memories....if I didn't have short term memory loss.
On the plus side, the burial should take about three seconds. (Flush)
IMG_20140726_105343.jpg

Last edited:

Scribe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one once that was in the tank for months eating algae, then one day it was on the sand dead. Looked like it had been split open. I thought the same thing it looked like it ate too much. Talk about gluttony. Sorry for your loss.

OP
OP
prime8reef

prime8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys :) I've had great luck with other sea slugs. I have one cucumber that's over a year old. And a tiger conch that's over eight months old. I have NEVER kept dwarf sea hare and was more worried about never seeing it once put in the tank. I guess I might try once again if I ever have an algae bloom, maybe introduce the lil guy before small whiskers of algae turns into cotton ball sized tufts on my rocks. He was a weird blue green colorafter , and I'm wondering if the type of algae he was consuming may have become toxic in some way. I'll have to do more research on the particular diet and species of algae these prefer, or need to remain healthyand a good cleaner. If anybody has information on this species of sea hare, that would be great. Or at least point me and my research in the right direction.
Happy reefing all!!

Scribe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read something recently about how they shouldn't be added to tanks. I forget the reasoning, but maybe this is why. They just won't last.

OP
OP
prime8reef

prime8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they'll do fine, it's just ppl don't realize how fast they will starve to death if no food is available. Algae, but I have NEVER heard of it eating itself to death, lol

seancc317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to me. My dwarf sea hare had a thanksgiving meal of hair algae with PLENTY of leftovers. Dead in 2 days.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they'll do fine, it's just ppl don't realize how fast they will starve to death if no food is available. Algae, but I have NEVER heard of it eating itself to death, lol

+1.

The reason (or atleast one of them) why some people recommend against adding them is due to their camoflauge and a tendency to ink when threatened/attacked.
The problem is a hungry tang or whatever who grazes the rock all day will come across him eventually and potentially nip at him thinking he is rock or algae or something due to his camoflauge. This stresses the sea hare and he lets out a nasty purple ink that clouds the tank and potentially kills some unlucky livestock. The ink isn't poisonous to my knowledge, but if that happens while your at work or something, you never know how it could affect your tank. Especially if you can't attempt to fix it for another 8hrs or whatever.
I find them in the lakes around my area and have had a few ink on me. It's not usually as bad as say an octopus, but it can be very messy.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back