Mantis shrimp egg mass pic!

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Look what I found last night at feeding time!

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. Those things creep me out, and the thought of thousands of them creep me out even more but still very cool!

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that like a nook you created for him that you can see into from the side of the tank? trying to figure out what's going on with the wierd angles in the photo..lol..

very cool to see eggs like that, do you have a pair?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! Is there a pair or just the one female?

holy mass of destruction once they grow up

Even if the eggs are fertile and hatch they are cannibalistic and won't survive the larval stage. They will be eaten, starve or get filtered out before they can mature.

OP
OP
Reef-roach

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pair, just the little girl. She first got brought into my LFS about a year ago by a custie as a LR hitchhiker at about an inch and cockroach red/brown. She sat in a cubicle the whole time until I took her home about 3 months ago. I got a 3' PC of clear under gravel filter tube, split it in half lengthwise and frankensteined an ant farm set-up under the sand. She rarely uses it though, preferring her LR burrows. Makes me wonder why she decided to use the ant farm tubes to tend her eggs. Any ideas on possible species? I've looked on Roy's page but couldn't really figure anything out. I can't even really see a mereal(sp?) spot on her smashers.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the meral spots possibly white? Looks like N. wennerae to me especially if it was a hitchhiker in Florida live rock.

OP
OP
Reef-roach

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where the spot should be looks the same as her body color with some red/brown mottling spots. The LFS the live rock came from brings in LR from Fiji and tonga, I don't know if this info helps narrow it down. Ritter thanks for trying to help with the id!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where the spot should be looks the same as her body color with some red/brown mottling spots. The LFS the live rock came from brings in LR from Fiji and tonga, I don't know if this info helps narrow it down. Ritter thanks for trying to help with the id!

Maybe G. viridis?

OP
OP
Reef-roach

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked at Roy's page description for viridis. With the variability of color and meral red streaks I think you nailed it. Thanks buddy!

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. if they were fertile and mine I'd try to raise I don't think anyone has succeed in raising them though

OP
OP
Reef-roach

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's still protecting and tending the eggs after 2-1/2 days. She took food last night for the first time since, but wouldn't eat in front of me. She's a recluse normally, but has always taken food out of the tongs until now. Does anyone know how long an infertile egg mass will last? This is my 3rd hitchhiker mantis I've kept over the years, but the first time I've seen eggs from one other than pictures.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back